Toss a Pair of Threes Twice: What Are the Odds?

• Thread starter Uno Lee
  • Start date
In summary, the odds of tossing a pair of threes, twice, with two normal dice is 1/6^4 = 1/36^2 = 1/1296. However, with this kind of probability, it's important to remember that the previous experiment has no bearing on the outcome of future experiments. The next time someone rolls a pair of dice, the probability will still be 1 in 36. The roll of 3-4 is just as likely as 1-1. The odds of exactly one of the dice landing on 3 would be 5/18 and the odds of at least one dice landing on 3 would be 11/36.
Uno Lee
What are the odds of tossing a pair of threes, twice, with two normal dice?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1/6^4 = 1/36^2 = 1/1296

Thanks, I told a couple of people that the dice were weighted (they weren't) and always landed on three and got them to role them (to prove me wrong) and to my utter surprise...this is what happened!

The thing is here a three is easier to make than "snake-eyes," or a two. Why? because we might have a duce and a pip or a pip and a duce. Thus they are 2 ways out of 36 to throw a three, and to do it twice is 1/18^2 = 1/324.

Last edited:
Yes, but the OP wanted to roll two threes twice, not a combined three twice.

O.K., yes, I see, 1/6^4.

This was sort of an experiment. I was so surprised by the result from the first person (rolling a pair of threes on their first role) that I repeated the same experiment on a different person a couple of days later, different dice (still non-weighted) but the same experiment with the same results! Does this greater the odds? In both cases there were only two dice and they only rolled once to get the double threes.

Uno Lee said:
This was sort of an experiment. I was so surprised by the result from the first person (rolling a pair of threes on their first role) that I repeated the same experiment on a different person a couple of days later, different dice (still non-weighted) but the same experiment with the same results! Does this greater the odds? In both cases there were only two dice and they only rolled once to get the double threes.

With this kind probability it's important to remember that the previous experiment has no bearing on the outcome of future experiments. The next time you hand someone a pair of dice then probabilty will still be 1 in 36, even though taken as a group three consecetive pairs of three would only havea chance of 1 in 46656.

Remember, every possible outcome is very unlikely, it's just that most of them are so similar to the other ones that they are more likely (for example, the dice summing to 7 is more likely than summing to 2). But the roll of 3-4 is just as likely as 1-1. Why aren't you amazed when someone rolls 3-4, 2-5, 4-6? There was only a 1/6^6 chance of that happening! AMAZING :wink:

Alkatran said:
Why aren't you amazed when someone rolls 3-4, 2-5, 4-6? There was only a 1/6^6 chance of that happening! AMAZING :wink:

I had this discussion with my brother a long time ago, but about the lottery.

I couldn't convince him that he might as well pick the sequence 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, since that was as likely as any other sequence. He argued that 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 was never going to win, that it was MUCH more likely that other sequences (such as random ones, like 1,13,17,21,24,35,41) would win. I couldn't convince him (in a short time) that his sequence had one chance in the same zillion as my sequence did.

Just because it *looks* random to us, doesn't mean it's more likely.

P.S. Alkatran:
Actually, 3-4 is more likely than 1-1 to turn up: twice as likely - because you can also roll 4-3. There is only one way to roll 1-1.

On the lottery, where the winners shares the prize, it seems likely that many people will play numbers in sequence like 1,2,3,4..., so you might have to share the prize should it win.

I was referring specifically to 3 first, then 4 second, not the other way around.

As for the lottery: the only strategy I've ever heard is to pick numbers which are out of the range of birthdays so you don't have to share. :rolleyes:

I was refereing to 2 dies rolled simultaneous. If only one of them landed on 3, would the odds then be 1 in 12?

Uno Lee said:
I was refereing to 2 dies rolled simultaneous. If only one of them landed on 3, would the odds then be 1 in 12?

No, the odds of exactly one of the dice landing on 3 would be 5/18 and the odds of at least one dice landing on 3 would be 11/36

Working :

5/18 = 1/6 * 5/6 + 5/6 * 1/6

11/36 = 1/6 * 5/6 + 5/6 * 1/6 + 1/6 * 1/6 (or 1 - 5/6 * 5/6 of you prefer).

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "Toss a Pair of Threes Twice" and what are the odds?

"Toss a Pair of Threes Twice" refers to a probability experiment where a pair of dice is rolled twice and the results are recorded. The odds of getting two threes on both rolls is 1 in 36, or approximately 2.78%.

2. How is the probability calculated for "Toss a Pair of Threes Twice"?

The probability of getting a specific outcome from a series of events is calculated by multiplying the probabilities of each individual event. In this case, the probability of getting a three on one roll is 1/6, so the probability of getting two threes on both rolls is (1/6) x (1/6) = 1/36.

3. Is getting two threes on both rolls the only possible outcome for "Toss a Pair of Threes Twice"?

No, there are other possible outcomes for this experiment such as getting two different numbers, two of the same number other than three, or a total of six on both rolls. However, getting two threes on both rolls has the lowest probability.

4. How does the number of dice affect the odds in "Toss a Pair of Threes Twice"?

The more dice that are rolled, the higher the probability of getting two threes on both rolls. For example, if four dice are rolled twice, the probability becomes 1/1296 or approximately 0.08%.

5. How can the concept of "Toss a Pair of Threes Twice" be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of probability and calculating odds can be applied in various fields such as gambling, finance, sports, and weather forecasting. It can also be used to make informed decisions and predictions in everyday life.