Wave function of a free electron

In summary, the problem involves a free electron with kinetic energy of 10 eV moving along the positive x-axis. The task is to determine the electron's wave function and the potential step, V0, that results in a 25% probability of reflectance. The reflection coefficient for a potential step with the same V0 but with a positive sign is also requested. The wave function can be expressed as ψ(x,t)=Aexp(i(kx-ωt)), and the energy for the free particle has a ##\hbar^2## term, but the wave function does not. The solution requires specifying the wave function in both regions and using a rule from Griffiths introduction to Quantum Mechanics to determine the reflection coefficient. The final
Rorshach
Hello guys, problem is as follows:
X9) A free electron has energy (kinetic) 10 eV and moves along the positive x-axis.
a) Determine the electron's wave function.
b) The electron reaches a potential step,-V0. Determine V0(expressed in eV), so that the probability of reflectance is 25%.
c) What is the reflection coefficient of the potential step instead is + V0 but with the same V0?

Homework Equations

ψ(x,t)=Cexp(i(kx-ωt))

The Attempt at a Solution

Equation above should do (with estimating the constant C) with the first paragraph, however I have problems with normalisation of this function, since there are no boundaries for the particle.

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't need to determine a value of C. In addition to the incoming wave, you will have waves for reflection and transmission which also have constants. A certain ratio of the constants will determine the reflectance and you can determine the ratio without having to determine the constants themselves.

ok, I think I got it. Please tell me if am wrong:
for a) Psi(x,t)=Aexp(i(kx-(t*hbarred*k^2/2m)))
for b) V0=8*E
for c) reflection coefficient =0

am I right?

Last edited:
Rorshach said:
for b) V0=E

am I right?

No, I don't think those answers are correct. You need to specify the full wave function in both regions (before and after the step). How did you get your answers for b) and c)?

Rorshach said:
for b) V0=8*E

am I right?
I think your answer for b) is now correct.

I don't get the same answer as you for c)

answer I got for c) came from a rule I read in Griffiths introduction to Quantum Mechanics, that if E<V0, then T=0. But it only came from a rule, I assumed it as true and didn't push further.

If you square the h-bar in your answer for (a) then I think that would be correct if there is no step potential for this part.

I'm assuming that for part (b) the negative sign in -Vo means that the potential steps down as you move toward positive x.

Rorshach said:
answer I got for c) came from a rule I read in Griffiths introduction to Quantum Mechanics, that if E<V0, then T=0. But it only came from a rule, I assumed it as true and didn't push further.

T represents the transmission coefficient. You are looking for the reflection coefficient.

Also- specify the wave function in both regions- I thought it only concerned the situation when a prticle moves to the right(positive in x-axis), so I didn't have to include the step in estimating wave function. But if I was to do this- it would only mean that wave function would be divided into regions-
psi={
psi=Aexp(ikx)+Bexp(-ikx) for x<0
psi=Fexp(ilx) for x>0

Rorshach said:
Also- specify the wave function in both regions- I thought it only concerned the situation when a prticle moves to the right(positive in x-axis), so I didn't have to include the step in estimating wave function. But if I was to do this- it would only mean that wave function would be divided into regions-

psi=Aexp(ikx)+Bexp(-ikx) for x<0
psi=Fexp(ilx) for x>0

That looks good.

ok, since transmission coefficient is equal to 0, and transmission coefficient and reflection coefficient summed up have to be equal to 1, then reflection coefficient is equal to 1, am I right?

Also, I tried to derivate that formula for free particle, but still had normal non squared hbarred, but will try to derivate again.

Rorshach said:
ok, since transmission coefficient is equal to 0, and transmission coefficient and reflection coefficient summed up have to be equal to 1, then reflection coefficient is equal to 1, am I right?
That's correct.

Also, I tried to derivate that formula for free particle, but still had normal non squared hbarred, but will try to derivate again.

Oops, my mistake. The energy has ##\hbar^2##, but the wavefunction will not have the ##\hbar## squared. You were correct. Sorry.

1. What is the wave function of a free electron?

The wave function of a free electron is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding an electron at a particular location in space. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of electrons in a variety of systems.

2. How is the wave function of a free electron related to its energy?

The wave function of a free electron is related to its energy through the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of the wave function. The energy of the electron is determined by the shape and properties of the wave function.

3. Can the wave function of a free electron have negative values?

No, the wave function of a free electron cannot have negative values. It represents the probability of finding the electron at a certain location, and probabilities cannot be negative.

4. How does the wave function of a free electron change in different environments?

The wave function of a free electron can change in different environments due to interactions with other particles or external forces. These interactions can cause the electron's wave function to become more or less spread out, affecting its probability of being found in certain locations.

5. What is the significance of the wave function of a free electron in quantum mechanics?

The wave function of a free electron is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of electrons in various systems. It helps to explain phenomena such as electron tunneling and the properties of atoms and molecules.