Particle Decay/4-Momenta Homework Help

In summary, the speaker is struggling with the first question on a homework sheet, particularly due to their lack of understanding in particle physics and exhaustion from exams. They have been stuck on it for an hour and are seeking help. The question involves rearranging an equation and using it to show a specific expression, but the speaker is unsure how to proceed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use the same equation more than once and consider calculating energy transfer in terms of the given values.
Eldara
Im stuck on the first question of one of my homework sheets. Partly due to me being horrific at particle physics and lack of sleep (yay exam period) i just can't figure out what's happening and just been staring at it for an hour.

Sheet: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6FGt5Eo0GHUdmpMbnhsVlU1QzA/edit

Starting with question 1.

If you re arrange (2) you can get

wx^2 = -Q^2 +mp^2 + 2mpv.

Using M = E - K

I can then go to

Wx^2 = -Q^2 + mp^2 + 2v(Ep-Kp)

This is where i hit a wall as it wants me to show

Wx^2 = -Q^2 + m^2 + Ep (E-E') -2kp(k=k')

it then asks me to use (2) again but i already sued that trying to get to the above.

TL;DR I am confused ;(

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the same equation more than once, if you like.
Anyway: You need some expression for v. Can you calculate this energy transfer in terms of the energies and momenta given in the problem? What is the energy before the collision, and afterwards?

1. What is particle decay?

Particle decay is the process in which a particle, such as an atom or subatomic particle, breaks down into smaller particles. This process is also known as radioactive decay and is a natural occurrence that happens in unstable particles.

2. How is particle decay measured?

The decay of particles is measured using a concept called 4-momentum. This is a mathematical representation of the energy and momentum of a particle, which can be used to calculate the decay rate and other properties of the particle.

3. What factors affect particle decay?

Particle decay can be affected by various factors such as the type of particle, the energy of the particle, and the environment in which the particle exists. The stability of a particle is also a major factor in determining its decay rate.

4. What are the different types of particle decay?

There are three main types of particle decay: alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle, which consists of two protons and two neutrons. Beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle, which can be either an electron or a positron. Gamma decay is the emission of a high-energy photon.

5. How is 4-momentum used in particle physics?

4-momentum is a crucial concept in particle physics as it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of particles. By using 4-momentum, scientists can calculate the energy, momentum, and other properties of particles involved in reactions and decays. This helps in the study of fundamental particles and their interactions.