Trouble with normalizing a wave function

In summary, the wave function of a particle of mass m is given by ψ(x,t) = Ae-a[mx2/h-bar)+it]. To find the value of A, the wave function must be normalized using the equation ∫ψ2 = 1. The solution provided in the book uses the integral from 0 to ∞ and multiplies it by 2 due to symmetry. This allows for the use of the Gaussian integration formula.
marineric

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is in the state ψ(x,t) = Ae-a[mx2/h-bar)+it]

Find A

Homework Equations

I know that to normalize a wave function I should use ∫ψ2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

The book gives the solution as 1 = 2abs(A)2∫ e-2amx2/h-bar) dx

My question is where does the "2" factor in front of the A2 come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...could you perhaps provide a little more information on
(i) the domain of the wavefunction
(ii) the bounds of that integral

i) the domain is for all x and t > 0?

ii) the bounds of the integral are from 0 to ∞

I think I got it. The solutions manual integrated from 0 to ∞, and multiplied by 2 because of symmetry (to get the -∞ to 0 part)

marineric said:
I think I got it. The solutions manual integrated from 0 to ∞, and multiplied by 2 because of symmetry (to get the -∞ to 0 part)
Yup, seems like it. It is rather odd of them to do that though; usually we like -∞ to ∞ bounds because they allow us to use the Gaussian integration formula.

What is a wave function and why is it important?

A wave function is a mathematical description of a quantum system, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain state at a given time. It is important because it allows scientists to predict the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, which has important applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and atomic physics.

What does it mean to normalize a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function means adjusting its values so that the total probability of finding a particle in any possible state is equal to 1. This ensures that the wave function accurately represents the behavior of the particle and follows the laws of quantum mechanics.

Why can normalizing a wave function be difficult?

Normalizing a wave function can be difficult because it involves complex mathematical calculations, such as integration and complex numbers. Additionally, the wave function may have multiple variables and conditions that need to be satisfied in order to be properly normalized.

What happens if a wave function is not normalized?

If a wave function is not properly normalized, it can lead to incorrect predictions of the behavior of particles. This can result in errors and inconsistencies in scientific research and applications, and can also violate the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

How do scientists determine if a wave function is normalized?

Scientists use mathematical techniques and equations, such as the normalization condition, to determine if a wave function is normalized. This involves calculating the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states and ensuring that it equals 1. If the wave function does not satisfy this condition, it is not normalized.