Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients for three spin-1 particles?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the coefficients to change from the combined angular momentum of three spin-1 particles to the individual angular momenta of each particle. The person is looking for a table or reference to help with the algebraic calculations, but the other person suggests that there is no shortcut method and they must give it a try themselves.
dipole
I'm doing a problem where I need to know the coefficients to change from the
[itex] \vec{J} = \vec{J}_1 + \vec{J}_2 + \vec{J}_3 [/itex] to the {[itex]\vec{J}_1, \vec{J}_2, \vec{J}_3[/itex]} for three spin-1 particles, but I'm having trouble finding a table or reference for this... surely every time someone needs to write such a wave function they don't do all the algebra by hand, so where can I find a table to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You combine the angular momenta two at a time.

vela said:
You combine the angular momenta two at a time.

This doesn't really help me...

For my situation, suppose I want to find all the states with [itex] m = 2 [/itex]. Well, there are three possibilities:

[itex] \mid j = 3, m =2 \rangle [/itex]

and then two distinct states with [itex] \mid j = 2, m = 2 \rangle [/itex] which correspond to a
symmetric and anti-symmetric state, presumably. How can I construct these by just coupling [itex] j_{12} [/itex] with [itex] j_3 [/itex] (where [itex] j_{12} [/itex] is the coupled-states of [itex] j_1 [/itex] and [itex] j_2 [/itex])? How do I even start and how do I know which linear combinations to couple to which? It's very confusing. :(

Well, give it a shot. There's no shortcut method if that's what you're looking for.

I understand your frustration in finding the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for three spin-1 particles. These coefficients are essential in understanding the angular momentum states of composite systems, and it is important to have accurate and reliable data.

There are several resources available for finding Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, including tables and online calculators. One reliable source is the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) database, which provides a comprehensive table of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for various quantum numbers and spin states.

Another useful resource is the book "Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics Handbook" by Gordon W.F. Drake, which includes a comprehensive table of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for various combinations of spins.

Additionally, there are several online calculators available that can quickly and accurately calculate the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for specific quantum states. These calculators use algorithms based on the Wigner-Eckart theorem to determine the coefficients.

In conclusion, while it may be tedious to manually calculate the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for three spin-1 particles, there are reliable and easily accessible resources available to assist you in your research. I suggest exploring the NIST database, the "Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics Handbook," or online calculators to find the coefficients you need for your problem.

1. What are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for three spin-1 particles?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are mathematical quantities used to describe the coupling of angular momenta in quantum systems. In the specific case of three spin-1 particles, the coefficients represent the probabilities of different combinations of spin states for the three particles.

2. How are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients calculated for three spin-1 particles?

The calculation of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for three spin-1 particles involves the use of Clebsch-Gordan tables, which provide the values for the coefficients based on the quantum numbers of the particles. The calculation also takes into account the rules of angular momentum addition in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients in quantum mechanics?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are fundamental in the study of quantum systems with multiple particles, as they allow for the determination of the possible spin states and probabilities of these states. They are also important in understanding the concept of quantum entanglement.

4. Are there any other applications of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients besides three spin-1 particles?

Yes, Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are used in a variety of other quantum systems, including atoms, nuclei, and molecules. They are also used in the study of quantum field theory and in the description of fundamental particles and their interactions.

5. What are some challenges in using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for three spin-1 particles?

One of the main challenges in using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients is the complexity of the calculations, especially for systems with higher numbers of particles. Additionally, the interpretation of the coefficients and their physical meaning can be difficult, as they are purely mathematical quantities.