Using the greenhouse effect for energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of inducing a runaway greenhouse effect in a controlled environment for energy production. However, it is determined that this concept is not as efficient as other forms of renewable energy and simply heating water with sunlight would be a better option. The idea of using a greenhouse pot to boil water for electricity generation is also suggested.
MR GREY
Ok I don’t really know any reasons why this doesn’t happen already so I’m hoping some people can help.

Is it not possible to induce a Runaway greenhouse effect in a controlled environment and then use it for energy production?

If it is possible why isn’t it being done (too inefficient, costly etc)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't really make sense, since you need energy to create a greenhouse effect.

I'm not really clear on how you think it could be harnessed, but see this for a possibility:
http://www.enviromission.com.au/EVM/content/home.html

That particular company/project is probably a scam/boondoggle, but there is nothing wrong with the basic concept besides construct-ability and economic viability.

Sorry everybody, I can see why my question was unclear.

The enviromission project isn’t what I had in mind but thanks for suggesting it.

Just to explain it better:

So in a normal power station a turbine is turned using water or steam to generate electricity.

If you managed to create a clear box containing the stuff you need for a runaway greenhouse effect then the inside of the box would have a lot of heat and pressure. Surely that kind of environment could be used to pump water in, evaporate it, turn a turbine and generate electricity?

The energy to keep the greenhouse effect going would come from the sun.

Would this be more efficient than solar panels and other forms of renewable energy?

The energy coming into the greenhouse will still be proportional to the area of the greenhouse, so the average power available is still only the power of the sunlight hitting the box.
This leads me to think that you'd be better off simply heating the water directly with sunlight.
Perhaps you could use the greenhouse box to store energy, but there are more efficient and compact means to do so (such as liquid salt and batteries).

Thanks for that. You both explained it perfectly.

Solar cooking usually involves both concentrating the sunlight and also using a "greenhouse pot". The greenhouse pot is a dark pot inside a clear pot. It absorbs the sunlight and gets very hot. You could use this to boil water and generate electricity, I suppose.

1. What is the greenhouse effect?

The greenhouse effect is a natural process that occurs when certain gases in the Earth's atmosphere trap heat from the sun, leading to an increase in the Earth's temperature. This is essential for sustaining life on Earth, but too much of these gases can cause global warming.

2. How can we use the greenhouse effect for energy?

The greenhouse effect can be harnessed to produce energy through various methods such as solar panels, solar water heaters, and greenhouse gas capture and storage. These technologies use the sun's energy to generate electricity or heat water, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.

3. What are the benefits of using the greenhouse effect for energy?

Using the greenhouse effect for energy can have numerous benefits, including reducing greenhouse gas emissions, decreasing our reliance on non-renewable energy sources, and promoting sustainable development. It also helps in mitigating the effects of climate change and creating a cleaner and healthier environment.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using the greenhouse effect for energy?

While using the greenhouse effect for energy has many benefits, there are also some drawbacks to consider. For example, the initial cost of implementing these technologies can be high, and they may not be suitable for all geographical locations. Additionally, there may be potential environmental impacts, such as land use and water consumption, associated with some of these methods.

5. How can we promote the use of the greenhouse effect for energy?

To promote the use of the greenhouse effect for energy, governments and individuals can invest in renewable energy technologies, support policies that incentivize their use, and raise awareness about the benefits of sustainable energy. It is also crucial to continue researching and developing new and efficient ways to utilize the greenhouse effect for energy production.