Questions and comments about cosmo FAQ

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation suggests the idea of creating a thread for feedback and clarification on the cosmology FAQ to promote inclusivity and transparency. The participant found the FAQ on the expansion of the universe to be helpful, but also had questions and suggestions for improvement on other articles, such as the one on total mass-energy and dark matter. The importance of constantly reviewing and updating the FAQ is emphasized to ensure accuracy and clarity for both experts and non-experts.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
In the interest of broader participation, feedback, transparency etc, maybe we can have (in regular cosmo forum) a thread for reaction to cosmo FAQ. Which articles have you found helpful? I've heard a number of positive comments in regular discussion threads, but ATM can't remember in which discussions they came up.

Also have you found anything UNCLEAR? Do you think anything needs clarification (please specify which item, and quote the passage.)

Jim Johnson recently had a question (in another thread) about this paragraph in the "total mass-energy" FAQ:
"One can also estimate certain quantities such as the sum of the rest masses of all the hydrogen atoms in the observable universe, which is something like 10^54 kg. Such an estimate is not the same thing as the total mass-energy of the observable universe (which can't even be defined). It is not the mass-energy measured by any observer in any particular state of motion, and it is not conserved."

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506985
I looked at it and it didn't seem clear to me why the total mass-energy in the currently observable region was UNDEFINABLE. So I was puzzled by the parenthetical clause, which I highlighted. Maybe whoever edits cosmo FAQ can put in some clarification or change it. Or maybe it doesn't need any attention!

The main thing is it would seem to be definable, just as the observable region (from standpoint of comoving observer at solar system current location) is itself definable, and just as energy density is definable. Definable yes, but not a conserved quantity.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for bringing up the idea of having a thread for feedback and clarification on the cosmology FAQ. I believe this will greatly benefit the community and promote transparency and inclusivity in our discussions.

In response to your question about which articles I have found helpful, I have personally found the FAQ on the expansion of the universe to be very informative and well-written. It clearly explains the concept of cosmic expansion and addresses common misconceptions about it.

However, I have also come across some articles that were unclear or needed further clarification. One example is the paragraph in the "total mass-energy" FAQ that you mentioned. I agree with you that it is not clear why the total mass-energy of the observable universe is undefinable. Perhaps the editor could provide more explanation or rephrase the sentence to make it clearer.

I also had a question about the FAQ on dark matter, specifically regarding the statement that "dark matter does not interact electromagnetically." I was wondering if this means that dark matter does not interact with light at all, or if it simply means that it does not interact through the electromagnetic force. It would be helpful to have this clarified in the FAQ.

Overall, I think the cosmology FAQ is a valuable resource for both experts and non-experts in the field. However, as with any scientific material, it is important to constantly review and update it to ensure its accuracy and clarity. I hope that our suggestions will be taken into consideration and that the FAQ will continue to improve and serve as a reliable source of information for the community.

Thank you for initiating this discussion and for your contribution to the scientific community.

1. What is the purpose of the "Questions and comments about cosmo FAQ" page?

The purpose of this page is to provide a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions and comments about the scientific field of cosmology. It serves as a resource for individuals who are interested in learning more about the study of the universe and its origins.

2. Who can benefit from reading this FAQ page?

Anyone with an interest in cosmology can benefit from reading this FAQ page. It is designed for both beginners and experts in the field, and covers a wide range of topics related to cosmology.

3. Are the answers provided on this page scientifically accurate?

Yes, the answers on this page are based on current scientific understanding and research in the field of cosmology. However, as the field is constantly evolving, some information may become outdated over time.

4. Can I submit my own questions or comments about cosmology?

Yes, this FAQ page is open to submissions from readers. If you have a question or comment about cosmology, you can submit it through the designated form on the page. However, please note that not all submissions may be included on the page.

5. Is there a way to contact the author of this FAQ page?

Yes, you can contact the author of this FAQ page through the designated email address provided on the page. The author welcomes any feedback or suggestions for improving the page.