What is wrong with eternal inflation model?

In summary, the article discusses the difficulties in understanding entropy and whether or not eternal inflation makes sense.
Dmitry67
I was thinking that "eternal inflation" model deals nicely with the problem of the beginning of the universe. If I understand this model correctly, Multiverse is a boiling bulk of some sort of very dense vacuum, creating inflationary "bubbles" (baby Universes), finite from the outside but infinite from the inside.

Now I read in http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.3080
on p.12

"As shown by Borde, Guth & Vilenkin [65], in inflation must have had a beginning, i.e., cannot be eternal to the past".

Googling gives me hints that it is based on some theorem, but I am afraid it will be beyond my level of math, do you have any simple explanation for idiots like me?

Space news on Phys.org
An eternal universe in the past would be static. In the eternal inflationary model the universe has a finite not eternal beginning as it developed from a finite point into a bubble universe. Keep in mind their are over 60 still valid inflationary models. This is just one of them that still fits observational data. My signature has numerous inflationary articles under cosmology101 link. For further reading. the Inflationary encyclopedia has a listing of valid models

Thanks. Just to confirm, when you say "universe has a finite not eternal beginning" are you talking about one of the baby universes (particular bubble) (and I totally agree) or about the whole Multiverse? (if so I am confused)

The baby universes.

Dmitry67 said:
Googling gives me hints that it is based on some theorem, but I am afraid it will be beyond my level of math, do you have any simple explanation for idiots like me?
Place a single photon inside the inflating universe. Consider inflation to have a constant energy density. Extrapolating into the past, how long until that photon has a higher energy density than the inflaton?

I see, there is no problem anyway - the inflation of any baby Universe had a beginning (branching from the bulk), I have no problems with it. The important thing is the boiling bulk, constantly generating baby universes - that thing exists forever (I am not sure that the word "forever" is valid here because it is not clear if "time" is consistently and correctly defined in that boiling bulk)

Dmitry67 said:
I see, there is no problem anyway - the inflation of any baby Universe had a beginning (branching from the bulk), I have no problems with it. The important thing is the boiling bulk, constantly generating baby universes - that thing exists forever (I am not sure that the word "forever" is valid here because it is not clear if "time" is consistently and correctly defined in that boiling bulk)
Right. This is why eternal inflation is said to be future-eternal, but with a finite past.

Some have used entropy arguments to show that this future-eternal inflation may not make sense. But the problem is it's really, really hard to make that determination because any such estimates of entropy run against the problem of how to define a measure across different Hubble volumes.

Yes, and the article discusses the difficulty of defining entropy - not only across different Hubble volumes, but also across different MWI universes. I was happy to see the claim I was talking about a long time ago - that total entropy of the whole multiverse is 0.

So, what is wrong with eternal confusion? It makes as much sense.

Chronos said:
what is wrong with eternal confusion?

It makes the Big Rip of the brain :)

What is the eternal inflation model?

The eternal inflation model is a theoretical concept in cosmology that suggests that our universe is just one of many universes in a larger multiverse. In this model, the universe undergoes periods of rapid inflation, producing an infinite number of "bubble" universes with different physical laws and properties.

What is the problem with the eternal inflation model?

One of the main problems with the eternal inflation model is that it is difficult to test or prove. It relies heavily on mathematical equations and theoretical concepts, making it hard to obtain observational evidence to support its claims. Additionally, the concept of an infinite number of universes raises questions about the scientific method and the ability to make predictions or test hypotheses.

How does the eternal inflation model fit with other theories of the universe?

The eternal inflation model is often seen as an extension of the Big Bang theory, as it offers a potential explanation for the initial conditions of the universe. However, it is not widely accepted by the scientific community as there is currently no direct evidence or observations to support its claims.

What are some criticisms of the eternal inflation model?

One of the main criticisms of the eternal inflation model is the lack of falsifiability. Since it is difficult to test or prove the existence of other universes, some argue that it falls outside the realm of science. Additionally, there are alternative theories, such as the cyclic model, that offer different explanations for the origin and evolution of the universe.

Are there any potential solutions to the problems with the eternal inflation model?

Some physicists have proposed modifications to the eternal inflation model, such as the string landscape theory, which attempts to address the lack of falsifiability by incorporating string theory and making testable predictions. However, these solutions are still in the realm of theoretical physics and have not yet been confirmed by observational evidence.