Calcium Carbonate -> Calcium Oxide, but only getting Hydroxide. Ideas?

In summary: A pinch, or so much that the water was only a thin layer on the surface? Heating a 10mm diameter limestone chip directly with a roaring bunsen burner flame for a couple of minutes should work.
Voltux
I was trying to calcine some CaCO3 (Calcium Carbonate), but ended up with Calcium Hydroxide.

To test if I had Calcium Carbonate I added it to some vinegar, no gas was produced. I then mixed in a small amount of the powder with a large amount of water and passed CO2 through it, and it became a milky white which led me to believe I have Calcium Hydroxide. I also tried added the final powder to water, which did not heat up.

I heated up my CaCO3 in a laboratory furnace (Electric) at roughly 920°C for 30 minutes which left me with my current product.

Do I need to have a nitrogen/argon gas purge of some sort??

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are doing strange tests and drawing strange conclusions.

Voltux said:
To test if I had Calcium Carbonate I added it to some vinegar, no gas was produced.

Some gas should be produced, so this test - if anything - shows you didn't have a calcium carbonate. I wonder if you didn't mean you were testing for oxide?

I then mixed in a small amount of the powder with a large amount of water and passed CO2 through it, and it became a milky white which led me to believe I have Calcium Hydroxide.

Sorry, no idea what you are trying to test for. Assuming the powder was CaO, after mixing it with water it became Ca(OH)2. It doesn't mean your powder WAS calcium hydroxide.

I also tried added the final powder to water, which did not heat up.

How much powder, how much water?

You are doing strange tests and drawing strange conclusions.

Some gas should be produced, so this test - if anything - shows you didn't have a calcium carbonate. I wonder if you didn't mean you were testing for oxide?

I was testing with vinegar to verify a change had taken place, and that it was heated long enough. This would only show that I did not have a carbonate.

Sorry, no idea what you are trying to test for. Assuming the powder was CaO, after mixing it with water it became Ca(OH)2. It doesn't mean your powder WAS calcium hydroxide.
I suppose you're right that both CaO, and Ca(OH)2 would form a milky white mixture, but when I added the powder to water (just enough water to cover the powder ~20-50ml) there was absolutely no change in temperature as measured with an IR thermometer and by touch.

How much powder, how much water?

20-50ml, just enough to cover the powder.

Voltux said:
I was testing with vinegar to verify a change had taken place, and that it was heated long enough. This would only show that I did not have a carbonate.

Have you checked that the carbonate before roasting was reacting with the acid?

20-50ml, just enough to cover the powder.

How much powder? A pinch, or so much that the water was only a thin layer on the surface?

I wonder if you got the CaCO3 hot enough. Wikipedia gives the minimum temperature as 825C.

You certainly don't need a gas purge. Cement making isn't "high tech" chemistry! Heating a 10mm diameter limestone chip directly with a roaring bunsen burner flame for a couple of minutes should work. But a bunsen flame is about 1500C, not 920C.

1. Why is Calcium Oxide only converting to Hydroxide instead of Carbonate?

This could be due to a number of factors. One possibility is that there is not enough heat or energy being applied to the reaction. Calcium Oxide typically requires high temperatures to fully convert to Calcium Carbonate, and if the heat source is not strong enough, it may only partially convert, resulting in Hydroxide instead. Another possibility is that there is an excess of water present, which can cause a side reaction and produce Hydroxide instead of Carbonate.

2. Can impurities in the Calcium Oxide affect the conversion to Hydroxide?

Yes, impurities in the Calcium Oxide can definitely affect the reaction. Impurities can act as catalysts or inhibitors, speeding up or slowing down the conversion to Hydroxide. It is important to use high quality, pure Calcium Oxide in order to ensure the most efficient conversion to Calcium Carbonate.

3. Is it possible to control the formation of Hydroxide during the conversion process?

Yes, it is possible to control the formation of Hydroxide by adjusting the temperature and water content of the reaction. Lower temperatures and less water can help to minimize the formation of Hydroxide and promote the formation of Calcium Carbonate. Additionally, using a catalyst or adjusting the pH of the reaction can also help to control the formation of Hydroxide.

4. Can the conversion of Calcium Oxide to Hydroxide be reversed?

Yes, the conversion of Calcium Oxide to Hydroxide can be reversed by simply heating the Hydroxide at high temperatures. This will drive off the excess water and convert the Hydroxide back to Calcium Oxide. It is important to note that this process may not be 100% reversible, as there may be some impurities or side reactions that cannot be undone.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the conversion of Calcium Oxide to Hydroxide?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect this reaction. These include the particle size of the Calcium Oxide, the presence of other compounds or chemicals in the reaction, and the type of heat source being used. It is important to carefully control and monitor these factors in order to achieve the desired conversion to Calcium Carbonate.