What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

• Thread starter coey
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the wavelength of a longitudinal wave with a frequency of 6 Hz and a velocity of 2.5 m/s. The formula \lambda \nu = v is used and the relationship between frequency and wavelength is explained. The solution is found to be 0.4167 m using dimensional analysis.
coey
heya,

i'm trying to solve this problem for a prelab question of mine, i think the problem that I've been noticing is that i can't find the right formula which involves all the variables listed... anyway here's the question.

A longitudinal wave with a frequency of 6 Hz takes 1.0 s to travel the length of a 2.5-m Slinky (see Figure). Determine the wavelength of the wave in meters.
m

thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
I think just use dimensional analysis.

The wave travels 2.5 m in 1.0 s so its velocity is 2.5 m/s. Divide this by 6 Hz (s^-1) and get 0.4167 m.

Formula might be [itex]\lambda \nu = v [/itex] .

Last edited:
Do you know the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

hint: -----> http://hubblesite.org/reference_desk/faq/answer.php.id=72&cat=light

it may not be clear but their equation actually reads: [tex] \lambda\nu = v [/tex] the [tex] \nu [/tex] is the greek letter nu.

Once you know the relationship, you have all the elements to find the wavelength..

edit: looks like QM already posted a solution. I was trying to help you figure it out yourself.

Last edited:

What is the relationship between wavelength and velocity?

The relationship between wavelength and velocity is inverse. This means that as wavelength increases, velocity decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation velocity = frequency x wavelength.

How do wavelength and velocity affect the behavior of waves?

Wavelength and velocity determine the properties and behavior of waves. Longer wavelengths and slower velocities result in lower frequencies and lower energy waves, while shorter wavelengths and higher velocities result in higher frequencies and higher energy waves.

Can velocity be changed without altering the wavelength?

No, velocity is a fundamental property of a wave and cannot be changed without altering the wavelength. This is because wavelength and velocity are directly proportional to each other.

What is the unit of measurement for wavelength and velocity?

Wavelength is typically measured in meters (m), while velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s). However, other units such as centimeters (cm) or kilometers per hour (km/h) may also be used.

How do wavelength and velocity relate to the speed of light?

Wavelength and velocity are both important factors in determining the speed of light. The speed of light is equal to the product of wavelength and frequency, and is a constant value of approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second.