Who is your role model in life?

• Thread starter no name
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, Arildno's sloth is his role model because of its cool claws and the fact that it is the only mammal that lays eggs. He also admires the Leakey family for their committed research on human origins.
no name
Most everyone has a role model in their life. They could be a parent, a friend, a teacher, or a sports hero.
Who is ur role model ... and why u picked him/her as a role model ...

Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly have never had a role model. There has never been anyone I wanted to be like. That doesn't mean that there weren't things that I was interested in and wanted to do.

Arildno's sloth is pretty cool though. I think the sloth may be my first role model. Those claws are awesome. :approve:

My Chemistry tutor. He inspired me to love sciences and mathematics.

It's a toss up between Einstein and Jenna Jameson. On the one hand, Einstein was the master of physics. On the other, Jenna Jameson DEFIES physics.

:rofl:

The Rev

My dad comes to mind first off, but not for my career motivations as much as everything else.
When it comes to the person who gave me direction as in "now I know what I want to do with my life" sense the person has changed around over the years. The two primary people, however, are my 8th grade science teacher and Carl Sagan. My science teacher was nothing but supportive when I first started going out into the world of astronomy, and Sagan's outlook on the universe really got to me as well (combined with his charecter Ellie Arroway who I just thought was the most awesome person ever).

no name said:
Who is ur role model ... and why u picked him/her as a role model ...
I don't have one. Even the most significant people have faults, (eg. Washington supporting slavery, Howard Hughes being a flaming fruitcake, etc.), some of which might even outweigh their contributions. It's easier to just pick and choose among the best attributes of everybody. If I absolutely had to pick one, I'd probably go with Da Vinci, just because he seems to have had the most fascinating mind ever, and endless curiosity.

edit: Damn! I should have said 'Evo' to nail some brownie points.

Last edited:
it was nice reading yours guys ...
mine is Gandhi ...
cheeeeerz

Me, I'm my own role model. :biggrin: Seriously, I don't have one. I always hated those essay questions in school where they asked you to write about your role model. I usually just made up something that I thought would make the teacher happy, so did several of my friends (the more of a sob story you could build up with it, the better the grade). I'm too busy being my own unique self to be bothered trying to be just like someone else.

I never had a role-model either. I don't really want to emulate anyone in particular. There are many people that I do admire though. At the top of that list today would be Helen Keller.

Jenna Jameson. :yuck:

I'd have to say... Isaac Asimov.

He inspired me to join the world of mathematics and sciences.

It used to be my uncle, a successful and happy engineer.

However, now that I've met Danger...

Moonbear said:
...I usually just made up something that I thought would make the teacher happy, so did several of my friends (the more of a sob story you could build up with it, the better the grade).
So that's how you gained such skill. :biggrin:

I never worship anyone or anything to be sure--definitely not anyone from the entertainment industry. While I can appreciate their achievements, what difference will it make to our world and future? I have learned wonderful things from other people. And do admire people, like Leonardo da Vinci--not that he is better than Newton, for example, but because he was so good at so many things--really amazing. I always felt the best person to compete with is yourself--to compare if you are improving yourself over time, and this should be enough.

Last edited:
For me its a toss up between Captain Kirk, Frank Zappa, and Mr. Rogers.

inha said:
the platypus> the sloth + the great panda.

Cool...a mammal with a bill that lays eggs AND has a poison barb on its ankle!

Mine would half to be the Leakey family, because of the committed research on human origins.

Malcolm X, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose

for inspiring me to stand up for my beliefs and to be proud of my country... Also their exemplary personal lives, complete honesty, respectful, courteous, kind, but when the moment struck, they were ready in the battlefied prepared to fight and die for people... I don't even measure up to an iota of their thoughts and actions, but I want to improve...

Last edited:
no name said:
it was nice reading yours guys ...
mine is Gandhi ...
cheeeeerz

brother, are you indian? if you are, I would like to give a link to you on him later..

I admire him for how he lived his life, but his actions and his actions during the latter stages of 1940s just affected India for the definite worse and I am prepared to defend this statement against anyone. India and Pakistan, one of the most unfortunate and sad events of history, could have been united if it hadn't been for him and the Nehru monarchy.. Also, the Indian independence cannot be attributed to him, he played some parts, but Subhash Chandra Bose and the Indian National Army, even after his plane crash, had more of an effect on the Indian independence than Gandhi.. But the sad part is that only a few Indians realize this, everyone else is brainwashed at schools...

Last edited:
A role model?

If only it was so easy to have an external reference!

On second thought, maybe http://altreligion.about.com/library/graphics/abraxas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Who would take Tomàs de Torquemada to be his role model ?

Just wondering

marlon

I have always been inspired by the wisdom of the elders. That spurred the idealism and desire for knowledge like no other.

As for a particular person, the only one I can think of is the physicist David Bohm, but that is about it.

My High School math teacher (for alg2 and ap calc). He kind of inspired me to not only love and do well in math, but also to major in math education (not that he directly advised me to do so, but heavily influenced).

1. Who is your role model in life?

As a scientist, my role model in life is Marie Curie. She was a pioneering physicist and chemist who made groundbreaking discoveries in radioactivity, and was the first woman to receive a Nobel Prize. Her determination, intelligence, and dedication to her work inspire me to constantly strive for excellence in my own research.

2. What qualities do you look for in a role model?

I believe a good role model should possess qualities such as intelligence, determination, resilience, and a strong work ethic. They should also have a positive impact on society and be a source of inspiration and motivation for others.

3. How has your role model influenced your career path?

My role model has influenced my career path in several ways. Firstly, her achievements in the field of science have motivated me to pursue a career in research. Additionally, her dedication to her work and her persistence in the face of challenges have taught me the importance of perseverance and hard work in achieving my goals.

4. Can you have more than one role model?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple role models. Each individual has their own unique qualities and accomplishments that can serve as a source of inspiration. It is important to have a diverse range of role models that can provide guidance and motivation in different aspects of life.

5. How can I find a role model?

There are several ways to find a role model. You can look for individuals who have achieved success in your field of interest, or who possess qualities that you admire. You can also seek guidance and mentorship from someone you know personally or from professionals in your field. Additionally, reading about influential figures and their accomplishments can also help you identify potential role models.