Pulsed Detonation Evaluation

• Thread starter MR. P
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detonation
In summary, the most appropriate means for evaluating the performance of a 'pulsed detonation' engine using hydrogen as a fuel and atmospheric air would depend on the specific parameters and goals of the engine. Options could include using a calorimeter or a hypersonic shock tube, but ultimately, the analysis and evaluation should be tailored to the specific needs and objectives of the engine.
MR. P
What Would Be The Most Appropriate Means For Evaluating The Performance Of A 'pulsed Detonation' Engine Using Hydrogen As A Fuel And Atmospheric Air?

Engineering news on Phys.org
MR. P said:
What Would Be The Most Appropriate Means For Evaluating The Performance Of A 'pulsed Detonation' Engine Using Hydrogen As A Fuel And Atmospheric Air?
Far more detail required; if by 'pulsed detonation' you mean a standard 4-cycle engine, then the equations involved for a gasoline motor apply.

This post probably belongs in "Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering" forum.

Basically, if it is just a calorimetic evaluation, some type of calorimeter - something like:

http://web.umr.edu/~gbert/animation.html

Otherwise, one would want to use something with a geometry similar to the intended end use. One could conceivably use a hypersonic shock tube, e.g.

http://www.isl.tm.fr/en/moyens_exp/shock_tube.html

http://www.eng.rpi.edu/mane/lightcraft/Facilities/hypersonic_shock_tunnel.html

Depending on the mass involved and energy released, one should be doing this in a very secure laboratory. H2 and O2 can be a very explosive combination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc and Danger:

Thank you for answering .Astronuc...since this is my very first thread I'll take your advice and repost it over there...
Danger..I'm moving the request over to the Mechanical engineering forum and I'll pick the ball up there...thankyou...by the is there a way to post pics of these things?

MR. P said:
by the is there a way to post pics of these things?
Go to http://www.imageshack.ws/?cookie=add2a60979fffcf0ba9ca213fcbced44 and click on 'browse'. It'll open a file menu so you can find the picture on your computer. When you've selected the one you want, the file name will show up in the window beside the 'browse' button. Scroll down and click 'Host It'. Then just pick the address that's appropriate for where you want to show it. I use the middle one, and found that an image size of 300x300 comes out about right for fitting on the screen in full view mode.
In your post, click the little yellow square and copy the image address after the IMG in brackets. The click it again to close it out with /IMG.
Moonbear just showed me how to do this last week. She told me another way using the 'attachments' feature, but I've never tried it.
Good luck with it, and with your project.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you danger

I guess this will depend on what you intend to do with the engine. A standard evaluation we look at parameters such as thrust and specific fuel consumption as the two top hitters. It will all depend on what you deem as important in your engine. Is max thrust output your goal? What about fuel usage? Or are you more concerned with thermal and mechanical efficiencies.

The analysis can go on for as long as you want it to. You need to define what you think is important.

1. What is pulsed detonation evaluation (PDE)?

Pulsed detonation evaluation (PDE) is a method used to analyze and characterize the performance of pulsed detonation engines (PDEs). It involves measuring and recording various parameters such as combustion pressure, temperature, and fuel consumption during the detonation process.

2. How does PDE differ from traditional detonation evaluation methods?

Unlike traditional detonation evaluation methods, which involve steady-state operations, PDE focuses on the transient behavior of detonation events. It captures the dynamic response of the engine during the pulsed detonation process, providing more accurate and detailed information about its performance.

3. What are the main advantages of using PDE?

PDE offers several advantages over traditional detonation evaluation methods. It allows for a faster and more efficient evaluation of engine performance, as it can capture multiple detonation events in a short period of time. It also provides more detailed data on the engine's behavior, allowing for better optimization and design of PDEs.

4. What types of data can be obtained through PDE?

PDE can provide data on various parameters such as combustion pressure, temperature, and fuel consumption during the detonation process. It can also capture information on the timing and frequency of detonation events, as well as the stability and efficiency of the engine.

5. How is PDE used in the development of pulsed detonation engines?

PDE is an essential tool in the development of pulsed detonation engines. It allows engineers to analyze and understand the behavior of the engine in real-time, providing valuable data for design and optimization. PDE is also used to validate computer simulations and models of PDEs, ensuring their accuracy and reliability.