Anyone attending AAPT Orlando (Jan 4-7)?

• Thread starter robphy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aapt
In summary, the Winter Meeting was smaller than the Summer Meeting, and the location was nice. There were some interesting talks and posters, mostly concerning introductory physics. The most interesting thing I saw was the IOLab, which is a hopefully-low-cost device that can compactly and wirelessly stream real-time data from various sensors so that students can do their own experiments and measurements at home or on the go. Unfortunately, you can't buy it yet.
Science news on Phys.org
It was okay...

The Winter Meeting is smaller than the Summer Meeting... but it seems that the meetings are generally getting smaller. The number of vendors in the exhibition hall seems to be getting smaller. The location of the conference was nice (the Rosen Plaza, apparently one of many conference centers in that immediate area [near Universal Orlando]).

As usual, there were some interesting talks and posters... mostly concerning introductory physics... but some concerning upper-level undergraduate physics. (I wish there were more upper-level.)

The most interesting thing I saw there was the IOLab (old version: http://news.illinois.edu/ii/11/1020/physics_device.html, newer version: http://labframe.org/ ), which is a hopefully-low-cost device that can compactly and wirelessly stream real-time data from various sensors so that students can do their own experiments and measurements at home or on the go (i.e. not necessarily in the lab classroom). Unfortunately, you can't buy it yet. It is under development and is being tried out in some classes at UIUC.

The weather was nice (in the 60s to upper 70s)... but it did catch some cold days (near freezing at night) while the northern states were feeling that polar vortex. There were some who were scheduled to present but had their flights cancelled.

I plan to be at the next meeting, in Minneapolis. (I usually go to at least one per year.)

http://www.aapt.org/Events/meetings.cfm lists the future meetings:
2014 Summer Meeting, July 26-30 (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
2015 Winter Meeting, January 3-6 (San Diego, California)
2015 Summer Meeting, July 25-29 (University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland)
2016 Winter Meeting, January 9-12 (New Orleans, Louisiana)

1. What is the purpose of AAPT Orlando?

AAPT Orlando is a conference organized by the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) that brings together educators, researchers, and students to discuss and share their latest findings and ideas in physics education.

2. Who can attend AAPT Orlando?

AAPT Orlando is open to anyone with an interest in physics education, including teachers, professors, researchers, and students. However, registration and fees are required to attend the conference.

3. What can I expect at AAPT Orlando?

AAPT Orlando typically features keynote speeches, workshops, panel discussions, and poster presentations on a wide range of topics related to physics education. There are also opportunities for networking and collaborating with other attendees.

4. How do I register for AAPT Orlando?

You can register for AAPT Orlando through the conference website or on-site at the event. Registration fees vary depending on your membership status and the date of registration.

5. Can I present my own research at AAPT Orlando?

Yes, AAPT Orlando offers opportunities for attendees to present their own research through oral presentations, poster sessions, and workshops. You can submit an abstract for consideration through the conference website.