Lost file recovery utilities - just in case

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File Lost
In summary, the conversation discusses the loss of 1.5 GB of data due to a corrupted FAT. The speaker was able to recover most of the files using "File Scavenger" and also mentions successfully using it in the past on a larger drive. They recommend keeping it as a backup option in case of emergencies.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Some months ago, I lost (or perhaps Windows lost) about 1.5 GB of data. Actually, the files were still there, but the FAT got hosed.

I did not realize it at the time and unfortunately had saved some stuff to the HD. Once I realized what had happened I got a copy of "File Scavenger" - http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm . I was able to recover most of the files (about 95-97%), although some files were corrupted - mixed content. Fortunately, I had some of that backed up elsewhere - so no data lost.

I am not endorsing this particular product, but its out there in case of emergency.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I used it about 6 months ago on a portable firewire drive of about 500 Gb, which developed a serious bad block problem (had to be replaced), the drive had about 300 Gb of stuff within it at the time and was able to completely recover around 250 Gb of it before replacing the HDDs. I tried a number of other software for extracting the data, but Scavenger was the one which was able to do the most good - so in case the worst happens giving it a go can be a good idea.

Thank you for sharing your experience with lost file recovery. It can be a frustrating and stressful situation to lose important data, and it's great to know that there are tools available to help in case of emergencies.

It's important to always have a backup plan in place for important files, as you never know when something unexpected like a corrupted FAT can occur. Your experience serves as a reminder to regularly backup important data to avoid potential loss.

While we cannot endorse a specific product, it's always helpful to have recommendations from others who have successfully used a tool for file recovery. Thank you for mentioning "File Scavenger" as an option for those who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Overall, it's great to hear that you were able to recover most of your lost files and that no data was permanently lost. Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us all to have a backup plan and to consider file recovery utilities in case of emergency.

1. What is a "Lost file recovery utility"?

A "Lost file recovery utility" is a software program designed to help retrieve files that have been accidentally deleted, lost due to a system crash, or corrupted in some way. These utilities work by scanning a computer's hard drive for fragments of deleted or lost files and attempting to piece them back together.

2. How do lost file recovery utilities work?

Lost file recovery utilities work by scanning a computer's hard drive for fragments of deleted or lost files. They use various algorithms to piece together these fragments and attempt to reconstruct the original file. Some utilities also have the ability to recover files from damaged or corrupted hard drives.

3. Are lost file recovery utilities 100% effective?

No, lost file recovery utilities are not 100% effective. The success of file recovery depends on several factors, such as the type of file, how long it has been deleted, and the amount of damage to the hard drive. In some cases, the file may be too damaged or fragmented to be fully recovered.

4. Are there any risks associated with using lost file recovery utilities?

There are some risks associated with using lost file recovery utilities. These programs may overwrite other files on the hard drive, potentially causing further data loss. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the software and to avoid using the computer or saving new files while the recovery process is in progress.

5. Are there any free lost file recovery utilities available?

Yes, there are some free lost file recovery utilities available, but they may have limited features and may not be as effective as paid versions. It is important to research and choose a reputable and reliable program to increase the chances of successful file recovery.