Is There a General Theorem for the Sum or Difference of Terms^n?

• Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses binomials and a general theorem for sum or difference of terms^n. It is mentioned that you can always divide xn - yn by x - y and that there are formulas for higher odd powers, such as x3 + y3, but one for xn + yn + zn is not known. The importance of considering multiple examples and not trying to be too general too early is also emphasized.
Jhenrique
Binomials

I was verifying that [tex]\\x^2-y^2=(x-y)(x+y) \\x^3-y^3=(x-y)(x^2+xy+y^2)[/tex] and I realized that can there is a formulation more general like the theorem binomial... my question is: exist a general theorem for sum or difference of terms^n ?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can always proceed with the division of x^n-y^n by x-y.
Then you can guess and then demonstrate what the general solution is.

For example:

(x^11 - y^11)/ (x - y) =
x^10 + x^9 y + x^8 y^2 + x^7 y^3 + x^6 y^4 + x^5 y^5 + x^4 y^6 + x^3 y^7 + x^2 y^8 + x y^9 + y^10

Try to be specific and by considering multiple examples, you can often find the path to a generalization.
Never try to be general too early.

(xn - yn) = (x - y)(xn-1 + xn-2y + xn-3y2 + ... + yn-1)

is considered fairly elementary, but often useful. It is fairly easy to see it is true if you just multiply the x of the first bracket by the second bracket on one line and -y from the first bracket by the second bracket on the second line you will see.

A connection you should not fail to observe is that this gives you the answer to getting the sum of a geometric series which is

1 + x + x2 + xn-1

(I have made the final term xn for easy comparison, but you you'll be able to see what the sum is if the final term is xn).

The most useful of all applications of this is when x < 1 and n is infinite.

Likes 1 person
epenguin said:
(xn - yn) = (x - y)(xn-1 + xn-2y + xn-3y2 + ... + yn-1)

Very good!

And which the formula for xn + yn and for xn + yn + zn?

Jhenrique said:
Very good!

And which the formula for xn + yn and for xn + yn + zn?
There is a well-known formula for x3 + y3 (= (x + y)(x2 - xy + y2), and formulas for higher odd powers of xn + yn are fairly well known. Hint: one factor is x + y. You can get the other factor by long division.

If there's a formula for xn + yn + zn I'm not aware of it.

What is the concept of verifying binomials?

The concept of verifying binomials involves determining if a given algebraic expression is a binomial, which is an algebraic expression with two terms that are connected by a plus or minus sign.

How do you verify if an expression is a binomial?

To verify if an expression is a binomial, you need to check if it has two terms that are connected by a plus or minus sign. If it meets this criteria, then it is a binomial.

What is the difference between a binomial and a trinomial?

A binomial has two terms, while a trinomial has three terms. In other words, a binomial is a special case of a trinomial where there are only two terms.

What is the importance of verifying binomials?

Verifying binomials is important because it helps us to accurately identify and classify algebraic expressions, which is crucial for solving equations and working with polynomials.

Can a binomial be expanded?

Yes, a binomial can be expanded using the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. This allows us to multiply the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms to get the expanded form of the binomial.