Best Calculator for College Algebra: HP 35s, TI-36X Pro, EL-W535XBSL

• Thread starter dsccitmjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the conversation is about choosing the best calculator for college algebra classes. The options being considered are the HP 35s, TI-36X Pro, and Sharp EL-W535XBSL. Price is not an issue and the final decision is between the TI-36X Pro and the Sharp EL-W516XBSL. The TI-36X Pro is allowed for the NCEES EIT exam, while the Sharp calculators are not.
dsccitmjr
Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. I am needing some opinions on three calculators I am looking at for college algebra. The runners up are the HP 35s, TI-36X Pro, and the Sharp EL-W535XBSL. I am wanting to use it for my Math 1000 and Math 1050 classes. Price is no issue for me, just am wanting the best calculator for the job. Thanks for any feedback!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ok, I have narrowed it to either the TI-36X Pro or the Sharp EL-W516XBSL. Can you please help me to narrow it to one of these? Thanks!

The Ti-36X Pro is allowed for the NCEES EIT exam, the Sharp (any Sharp) is NOT! If you are planning to take engineering and take the NCEES Fundamentals exam as a senior, you will want to use an NCEES exam approved calculator.

1. Which calculator is the best for college algebra?

The best calculator for college algebra depends on personal preference and the specific features that are needed. However, the HP 35s, TI-36X Pro, and EL-W535XBSL are all popular choices among students and professionals.

2. What makes the HP 35s a good choice for college algebra?

The HP 35s is a powerful scientific calculator with a large display and over 100 built-in functions. It also has a durable design and is programmable, making it a versatile choice for complex algebraic calculations.

3. How does the TI-36X Pro compare to other calculators for college algebra?

The TI-36X Pro is known for its user-friendly interface, multiple modes for different types of calculations, and its ability to solve equations and graph functions. It also has a built-in equation solver and access to a vast library of equations and formulas.

4. What sets the EL-W535XBSL apart from other calculators for college algebra?

The EL-W535XBSL is a budget-friendly option that still offers advanced features such as a large display, complex number calculations, and a multi-line display for easier viewing of equations. It also has a unique "write view" feature that allows users to input equations as they would on paper.

5. Are there any other recommended calculators for college algebra?

In addition to the HP 35s, TI-36X Pro, and EL-W535XBSL, other popular choices for college algebra include the Casio fx-115ES Plus and the Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE. Ultimately, it is important to choose a calculator that meets your specific needs and is allowed for use in your course or exam.