Detecting volcanic ash or meteor.

• Thread starter Paul Wilson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteor
In summary, the conversation is about a person finding a black rock that resembles volcanic ash or a meteor. They are wondering if there is a way to test it to determine its composition and value. They have already tested it by putting it in warm water, vinegar, and sugar and seeing it erode. There is also discussion about the potential dangers of handling a meteorite and the rarity of finding meteor samples.
Paul Wilson
A friend and I were sitting on this mound of dirt in a deserted work site, and I lifted up a black piece of rock. I know it is not coal, as it does not look like coal, it highly resembles volcanic ash as it is super light, but there's no volcanos here in Northern Ireland, then I thought it looked like a meteor, as it has shiny bits in it (Crystalites I think they're called) which don't really show in black rock, unless it's meteor.

Is there any experiment I can do to find out whether it is any of my suspicions?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
interesting question. meterorites are sometimes worth lots of money.

stoned said:
interesting question. meterorites are sometimes worth lots of money.
Neato. There was a good bit of it too, but I only collected 3 small samples to test.

Might it not just be pumice ? Black pumice is abundant in Iceland, and it floats on water...are you near the sea ?

Gokul43201 said:
Might it not just be pumice ? Black pumice is abundant in Iceland, and it floats on water...are you near the sea ?
Already tested it. It sinks alright.

I currently have a very small piece in a shot glass filled with warm water, vinegar and sugar. Over the past hour or so it's definitley began to erode away. When I first added it to just water, bubbles came from the sample. That's probably just air in the holes in the sample.

you better stop fooling around with it, what if you release some deadly space virus or something ??

stoned said:
you better stop fooling around with it, what if you release some deadly space virus or something ??
Your idea is feasable, but what are the odds?

Very interesting...how would you test that-

and how often are samples like that found?

Well infinitetime, if you think how long science has been around, and how much of whatever that science has, we only have some 40,000 meteor samples. That's really quite little concidering the amount of meteorites floating around up there.

1. How do scientists detect volcanic ash or meteor?

Scientists use various methods such as satellite imagery, ground-based remote sensing instruments, and ground-based instruments to detect volcanic ash or meteor.

2. What is satellite imagery and how does it help in detecting volcanic ash or meteor?

Satellite imagery is the use of satellite sensors to capture images of the Earth's surface. It helps in detecting volcanic ash or meteor by providing real-time images and data of the affected area.

3. What are ground-based remote sensing instruments and how do they detect volcanic ash or meteor?

Ground-based remote sensing instruments are devices located on the ground that use various techniques such as radar, lidar, or spectrometry to detect volcanic ash or meteor. These instruments can measure the physical, chemical, and optical properties of the ash or meteor.

4. How does the detection of volcanic ash or meteor help in predicting volcanic eruptions or meteor impacts?

By detecting and monitoring the presence of volcanic ash or meteor, scientists can gather data on the type, location, and intensity of the eruption or impact. This data can then be used to make predictions about future eruptions or impacts and warn the public in advance.

5. Can volcanic ash or meteor be detected before they reach the Earth's surface?

Yes, scientists can detect volcanic ash and meteor in the upper atmosphere using specialized instruments and models. This allows them to track the trajectory and potential impact of the ash or meteor before it reaches the Earth's surface.