Origin of the Universe: Created Universe vs Cyclical Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the two main theories for the origin of the universe - either it has always existed and goes through cycles of expansion and contraction, or it was created by a supernatural force. The conversation also mentions the controversy between religious and scientific beliefs, and the possibility of other explanations such as a multiverse. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that there are other alternatives beyond these two theories and that the truth may never be fully known.

What do you think is the origin of the universe?

• Cyclical Universe: The universe has been here for eternity, big banging and big crunching

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Created Universe: A supernatural force like a God or Goddess created the universe

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Both theories are valid in different ways

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The universe's origin cannot be explained with these theories, there are other better theories

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Silverbackman
The two biggest causes of the universe cosmologists use is one of two theories. Either the Universe has been here for eternity and has been big banging and big crunching for eternity or some supernatural force (like a God or Goddess) created the universe. Which do you think explains the origin of the universe? Are these two the only way the universe came about, or are there other explanations?

Vote in the Poll and Discuss.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The origin of the universe will allways be the best fit to, theoretical and
observational evidence available at the time of asking the queastion, other
than that it it is only personal prefference.

There is always going to be controversy over this- between the religious belifs and scientific beliefs. But I put in the first option (even though I'm not completely sure-maybe I should have selected the "not sure" option =P).

I think the universe is cyclical but not just Big Bang'n and Big Crunch'n.

The poll makes a false dichotomy between a universe created by "a supernatural force like a God or Goddess created the universe" and "The universe has been here for eternity, big banging and big crunching".
As most religions believe their God/ess to be eternal, there is no contradiction in both options being true so option 3 is very plausible.

However there are philosophical problems with the idea of un-testable cosmological postulates, such as that of other universes; any theory that depends on the unobservable is always to be considered provisional.

Perhaps there are alternatives other than these two. I vote for option 4.

Garth

Last edited:
~angel~ said:
There is always going to be controversy over this- between the religious belifs and scientific beliefs. But I put in the first option (even though I'm not completely sure-maybe I should have selected the "not sure" option =P).

Well I don't think it is just about religion. Actually many Deists (like Einstein or founding fathers) believe there is a God that created the universe but there is not necessarily a doctrine to follow. So I guess it goes beyond religion, a creator I guess in this way can be used more as scietific term as well. Of course even if there is a God it does not prove the current doctrines on our planet to follow the God are right and could be made up.

other: multiverse/hierarchy

setAI said:
other: multiverse/hierarchy

Explain it more in detail if you can :wink:.

Garth said:
The poll makes a false dichotomy between a universe created by "a supernatural force like a God or Goddess created the universe" and "The universe has been here for eternity, big banging and big crunching".
Agree. Particularly since the mainstream scientific theory (Big Bang) does not necessarily include a Big Crunch.

Silverbackman said:
Explain it more in detail if you can :wink:.
if I did- it would necissarily be a lie :wink:

1. What is the difference between a created universe and a cyclical universe?

A created universe refers to the idea that the universe was brought into existence by a higher power or deity. In contrast, a cyclical universe proposes that the universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction, with no definitive beginning or end.

2. Which theory has more scientific evidence supporting it?

Currently, the theory of a created universe has more scientific evidence supporting it. This is because the concept of a cyclical universe is still being explored and there is not enough evidence to fully support it. However, scientific discoveries and advancements may change this in the future.

3. Can both theories coexist?

Yes, it is possible for both theories to coexist. Some scientists propose that the universe could have been created by a higher power but also goes through cycles of expansion and contraction. This allows for both theories to be true in some sense.

4. How do scientists study the origin of the universe?

Scientists study the origin of the universe through various methods such as observations, experiments, and mathematical models. They also use tools such as telescopes, particle accelerators, and computer simulations to gather data and test different theories.

5. Is there a consensus among scientists about the origin of the universe?

No, there is currently no consensus among scientists about the origin of the universe. There are many different theories and ideas being explored, and the scientific community is continuously gathering evidence and analyzing data to better understand the origin of the universe.