How Fast Do Point Charges Move After Being Released?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where two positive point charges are held together by a massless string and then released, causing them to fly off in opposite directions. The question asks for the final velocities of the charges when they are far apart. The solution involves using the general definition of work done, the electric potential energy stored in a system, and the gravitational potential energy due to a point mass. The final answer is derived using the conservation of momentum and the potential energies of the system. Suggestions for checking the answer include ensuring dimensional consistency and preserving symmetry.
ELB27

Homework Statement

Two positive point charges, ##q_A## and ##q_B## (masses ##m_A## and ##m_B##) are at rest, held together by a massless string of length ##a##. Now the string is cut, and the particles fly off in opposite directions. How fast is each one going, when they are far apart? [from 4th edition of Introduction to electrodynamics by Griffiths]

Homework Equations

General definition of work done from point ##a## to point ##b##: [tex]W = \int_a^b \vec{F}\cdot \vec{dl}[/tex]
Electric potential energy stored in a system: [tex]W = QV[/tex] where ##V## is the potential of the system.
Electric potential due to a positive point charge ##q##: [tex]V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q}{r}[/tex] where ##r## is the distance to the charge.
Gravitational potential energy due to a point mass ##m##: [tex]U = -\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r}[/tex] where ##G## is the gravitational constant and the sign difference due to the electric force of a positive charge being repulsive while the gravitational force always attractive.

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea is to first add the two potential energies of the system (electric and gravitational) using as reference point ##\infty## which will give the total potential energy stored in the system while it's still at rest. Then when they are "far apart" (as I understand it: at infinity), all of the aforementioned potential energy will be converted to the kinetic energy of the two charges/masses, giving me the first equation. For the second equation I used the conservation of momentum of the system consisting of the two charges/masses and the fact that the initial momentum was zero. Thus I get two equations in two unknowns:
[tex]\begin{cases}
(1) \frac{1}{a}\left(\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}q_Aq_B - Gm_Am_B\right) = \frac{1}{2}\left(m_Av_A^2 + m_Bv_B^2\right)\\(2) m_Av_A = m_Bv_B
\end{cases}[/tex]
Solving (1) and (2) for ##v_A## and ##v_B## I get:
[tex]v_A=\sqrt{\frac{m_B}{m_A(m_A+m_B)}\frac{2}{a}\left(\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}q_Aq_B - Gm_Am_B\right)}[/tex]
[tex]v_B=\sqrt{\frac{m_A}{m_B(m_A+m_B)}\frac{2}{a}\left(\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}q_Aq_B - Gm_Am_B\right)}[/tex]

Are my reasoning and answer correct? In particular, have I accounted for the fact that both charges move simultaneously and with different speeds, resulting in awkwardly changing electric and gravitational fields as they fly apart?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated!

EDIT: I am also interested in a systematic way of checking my answers by my self. I am too used to using answers sheet and I want to get rid of this habit of mine. Any suggestions on this matter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and answer look right.
I sanity-check dimensional consistency and boundary cases. E.g., mA = mB, mA almost zero, ...

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Your method and answer look right.
I sanity-check dimensional consistency and boundary cases. E.g., mA = mB, mA almost zero, ...
Thanks for the answer! Any other suggestions?

ELB27 said:
Thanks for the answer! Any other suggestions?

Symmetry preservation is another test.

haruspex said:
Symmetry preservation is another test.
OK, thank you very much, I'll keep these methods in mind!

1. What is the definition of a massive point charge?

A massive point charge is an object with a significant amount of mass and an electric charge. It is often represented as a point in space with a specific amount of charge associated with it.

2. How do we calculate the force between two massive point charges?

The force between two massive point charges can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The equation is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. Can two massive point charges with opposite charges attract each other?

Yes, two massive point charges with opposite charges will attract each other. This is because opposite charges have an attractive force between them, according to Coulomb's Law.

4. What happens to the force between two massive point charges when the distance between them is doubled?

If the distance between two massive point charges is doubled, the force between them will decrease by a factor of 4. This is because of the inverse square relationship in Coulomb's Law, where the force decreases as the distance increases.

5. Is there any limit to the force between two massive point charges?

No, there is no limit to the force between two massive point charges. As the distance between them approaches zero, the force will approach infinity. This is an ideal scenario and cannot be achieved in real-life situations due to the presence of other factors such as the size and distribution of charges.