Electric field of disk vs ring problem

In summary, the problem involves calculating the percentage decrease in the electric field magnitude at point P if a disk with a radius R is replaced with a ring of the same outer radius and inner radius of R/2, assuming the same surface charge density. The equation for the electric field of a ring is used, and the mistake lies in using the equation for a disk instead. The correct method involves subtracting the electric field of the missing disk from the electric field of the whole disk, and then finding the percentage decrease.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

Suppose you design an apparatus in which a uniformly charged disk of radius R is to produce an electric field. The field magnitude is most important along the central perpendicular axis of the disk, at a point P at distance 2R from the disk. Cost analysis suggests that you switch to a ring of the same outer radius R but with inner radius R/2. Assume that the ring will have the same surface charge density as the original disk. If you switch to the ring, by what percentage will you decrease the electrric feield magnitude at P?

Homework Equations

Electric field due to disk = σ/2ε*(1-z/(z^2+r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now what I tried was finding the electric field of the big disk, then finding the electric field of the ring by subtracting the electric field of the missing disk that was taken out of radius R/2.

(Edisk-Ering)/Edisk.

For E of the large disk I get σ/2ε(1-2R/(5R^2)^(1/2)) for the E of the ring I get
σ/2ε((1-2R/(5R^2)^1/2)-(1-2R/(17R^2/4)^(1/2)). Which I simplify to
σ/2ε(2R/(17R^2/4)^(1/2)-2R/(5R^2)^(1/2)). It seems I'm making a mistake in calculating (Edisk-Ering. I've seen then answer and my Edisk is correct. Am I making an algebra mistake somewhere? I did this problem correct two days ago with no problem so I don't know how I'm getting it wrong now, I lost the paper :(.

Sorry for the ugliness of all the type. I tried to use this itex but I wasn't able to input the equations in correct apparently.

I'd really appreciate any help as this problem is driving me nuts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Crush1986 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you design an apparatus in which a uniformly charged disk of radius R is to produce an electric field. The field magnitude is most important along the central perpendicular axis of the disk, at a point P at distance 2R from the disk. Cost analysis suggests that you switch to a ring of the same outer radius R but with inner radius R/2. Assume that the ring will have the same surface charge density as the original disk. If you switch to the ring, by what percentage will you decrease the electrric feield magnitude at P?

Homework Equations

Electric field due to disk = σ/2ε*(1-z/(z^2+r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now what I tried was finding the electric field of the big disk, then finding the electric field of the ring by subtracting the electric field of the missing disk that was taken out of radius R/2.

(Edisk-Ering)/Edisk.

For E of the large disk I get σ/2ε(1-2R/(5R^2)^(1/2)) for the E of the ring I get
σ/2ε((1-2R/(5R^2)^1/2)-(1-2R/(17R^2/4)^(1/2)). Which I simplify to
σ/2ε(2R/(17R^2/4)^(1/2)-2R/(5R^2)^(1/2)). It seems I'm making a mistake in calculating (Edisk-Ering. I've seen then answer and my Edisk is correct. Am I making an algebra mistake somewhere? I did this problem correct two days ago with no problem so I don't know how I'm getting it wrong now, I lost the paper :(.

Sorry for the ugliness of all the type. I tried to use this itex but I wasn't able to input the equations in correct apparently.

I'd really appreciate any help as this problem is driving me nuts.

You seem to be using the equation for the disk to calculate the electric field of the ring.

The electric field of a charged ring is given by:

$$\frac{kqz}{(z^2 + R^2)^{3/2}}$$

Likes 1 person
OK wait never mind. My answer works in a way... I found the percentage that the Electric field of the ring is in relation to the bigger disk. I just need to do 1-(Edisk-Ering)/Edisk to get the answer that my book wants.

Zondrina said:
You seem to be using the equation for the disk to calculate the electric field of the ring.

The electric field of a charged ring is given by:

$$\frac{kqz}{(z^2 + R^2)^{3/2}}$$

They say ring in the book but I guess it's really a washer heehee. I found the E field of the washer by subtracting the missing disk's E field.

The other day I found it by adding up rings by integrating from R/2 to R. It looks like both methods work just fine.

Luckily I just found out I needed to do one more little step to get the answer my book asked for.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Crush1986 said:
They say ring in the book but I guess it's really a washer heehee. I found the E field of the washer by subtracting the missing disk's E field.

The other day I found it by adding up rings by integrating from R/2 to R. It looks like both methods work just fine.

Luckily I just found out I needed to do one more little step to get the answer my book asked for.

Thanks so much for your reply.

I see, the book intended it as a disk with a "hole" in it. If there is an internal cavity in the disk, then there is no electric field there.

Simply subtracting the "lack of" electric field from the electric field of the whole disk will give ##E_{Disk_{net}}##.

The rest follows.

What is the difference between the electric field of a disk and a ring?

The difference lies in the geometry of the two objects. A disk has a flat surface, while a ring has a curved surface. This difference affects the distribution of the electric field and the equations used to calculate it.

How does the size of the disk or ring affect the electric field?

The electric field of a disk or ring is directly proportional to their size. This means that as the size increases, the electric field also increases. However, the rate of increase varies depending on the shape and dimensions of the objects.

Can the electric field of a disk or ring be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a disk or ring can be negative. This occurs when the electric field vectors point in the opposite direction to the conventional direction, which is taken as positive. This can happen in certain regions around the edges or outside of the disk or ring.

How is the electric field of a disk or ring affected by the charge distribution?

The charge distribution on the surface of a disk or ring determines the strength and direction of the electric field. A more uniform distribution of charge will result in a more symmetrical and predictable electric field, while a non-uniform distribution may lead to irregularities in the field.

Can the electric field of a disk or ring be affected by external factors?

Yes, the electric field of a disk or ring can be affected by external factors such as the presence of other charged objects or changes in the surrounding medium. These external factors can alter the distribution of charge and thus impact the electric field.