What is the average force exerted on a rocket during acceleration?

In summary, the problem involves a rocket with a mass of 7.2 x 10^4 kg starting from rest in outer space and accelerating to a velocity of 100 m/s. The question asks for the average force on the rocket due to the thrusters, but without a specified time or distance, there is not enough information to solve the problem. The problem may require the use of the impulse equation, but without a time, it is not possible to determine the force. Therefore, the problem does not have enough information to be solved.
brake4country

Homework Statement

A rocket with a mass of 7.2 x 10^4 kg starts from rest in outer space and fires its thrusters until it is moving with a velocity of 100 m/s. What was the average force on the rocket due to the thrusters?

Homework Equations

1/2 mv^2 = Fxd

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this problem using conservation. However, I keep getting an answer with "d" yet I am unable to solve for d. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the problem creator wants the average force per time unit. Do you know of some physical observable which depends on force and time? (And perhaps one that is also conserved in absence of forces)

Edit: upon rereadin, the time is not specified either. Is the problem formulation exactly as stated?

That would be acceleration?

Acceleration is only dependent on force and mass. As stated, the problem is only solvable if we assume a constant force, which seems a bit confusing since the problem mentions "average force". Had you been given the time it took to accelerate the rocket, things would have been different.

You don't have enough information to solve the problem. Is that the complete problem statement as given to you?

No, the problem does not give a time. However, if we use impulse = mv = Ft, then yes, if given the time then Force could be solved. It appears that this problem does not have enough information to solve. How do we know that there is not enough information to solve this problem?

You'll need a time or a distance over which the acceleration occurs. Does the question specify one of these?

Even the tiniest force will eventually push a craft to any given speed, if that force is applied for long enough.

I see. Also, I understand now that if a problem omits both time and distance there won't be enough info. to solve. This is true for the kinematic equations. Thank you!

1. What is the average force of a rocket?

The average force of a rocket is the total force exerted by the rocket over a given period of time, typically measured in Newtons (N).

2. How is the average force of a rocket calculated?

The average force of a rocket can be calculated by dividing the change in momentum of the rocket by the time it takes to achieve that change. This can be represented by the equation F = Δp/Δt, where F is the average force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the average force of a rocket?

The average force of a rocket is affected by a variety of factors, including the mass and velocity of the rocket, the amount of fuel being burned, and the design and propulsion system of the rocket.

4. How does the average force of a rocket impact its flight?

The average force of a rocket is a key factor in determining the acceleration and speed of the rocket during flight. A larger average force will result in a faster and more powerful launch, while a smaller average force may result in a slower and less powerful launch.

5. Can the average force of a rocket be increased?

Yes, the average force of a rocket can be increased by adjusting various factors such as increasing the amount of fuel burned, optimizing the design and propulsion system, and reducing the mass of the rocket.