Is the Upper Optical Path Longer than the Lower One in Diagram 2?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in length between the upper and lower light rays in diagram 2. The optical path of the upper ray, represented by S1P - t + ut, is longer than the optical path of the lower ray, represented by S2P. This is due to the refractive index, u, being greater than 1 in regular materials.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

for diagram 2 , i just can't understand why S1P -t + ut (upper ray ) is longer than the lower light ray (S2P) , ? if I take S2P minus ( S1P -t + ut ) , then i would get mt t (thickness ) is negative , which is indeed wrong! so it has shown that optical path of the upper ray is longer than the optical path of lower ray ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140825_235618[1].jpg
    IMG_20140825_235618[1].jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
S1P - t + ut > S2P if u>1, as S2P=S1P based on the upper diagram. I guess u is your refractive index? Regular materials have a refractive index larger than 1, so the upper path is longer.

Likes 1 person

What is the definition of "length of optical path"?

The length of optical path refers to the distance that light travels through a medium or multiple mediums in a specific direction.

How is the length of optical path calculated?

The length of optical path can be calculated by multiplying the refractive index of each medium by the physical distance the light travels in that medium and summing these values together.

What is the relationship between length of optical path and speed of light?

The length of optical path is directly proportional to the speed of light. As the length of optical path increases, the speed of light decreases.

How does the length of optical path affect the behavior of light?

The length of optical path affects the behavior of light by causing changes in its direction, speed, and wavelength. This is known as refraction and is responsible for phenomena such as rainbows and mirages.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the length of optical path?

Understanding the length of optical path is crucial in fields such as optics, astronomy, and telecommunications. It is used to design and improve lenses, telescopes, and fiber optic cables, among other things.