Collision of ball with a fixed inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of elastic collision and its application in determining the velocity of a rebounded ball. The person asking the question is trying to solve a problem involving a ball of mass m striking an inclined plane at a 45 degree angle with a velocity of 3m/s and rebounding horizontally. They have attempted to use the conservation of momentum along the x-axis to solve the problem, but are unsure where they have made a mistake. The other person in the conversation suggests examining the assumption of horizontal momentum being conserved and points the asker in the direction of their course notes or suggests using Google to understand the concept of elastic collision.
Dr.azwar
if a ball of mass m were to strike an fixed incined plane of 45degress with velocity of 3m/s, and was rebounded horizontally, what would be the velocity of the rebounded ball.(elastic collision). this the method i have tried.
momentum of the system along the x-axis is conserved.therefore,
m(0)+M(0)=M(0)+m(x) (M is mass of incline plane)
therefore velcoity of ball is 0
where am i making the mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
Examine your assumption. Why would the horizontal momentum be conserved?

Hint: "elastic collision"?

could you please show me the solution

could you please show me the solution
I could but I won't, it's not allowed.
Its your homework, you have to figure it out.
I can point in the right direction and ask guiding questions, that's all.

What does "elastic collision" mean? You will have some course notes with those words in them. Go look.
Alternatively you could try googling for the meaning.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/elacol.html

Likes 1 person

Your approach is correct in terms of conserving momentum along the x-axis. However, you also need to consider the conservation of energy in an elastic collision. In this case, the initial kinetic energy of the ball is converted into potential energy as it reaches the top of the incline, and then back into kinetic energy as it rebounds horizontally. This means that the velocity of the rebounded ball will not be zero, but rather it will have the same magnitude as the initial velocity (3m/s) but in the opposite direction. This is because the kinetic energy before and after the collision must be equal in an elastic collision. Therefore, the velocity of the rebounded ball would be -3m/s (in the opposite direction).

1. What factors affect the collision of a ball with a fixed inclined plane?

The factors that affect the collision of a ball with a fixed inclined plane include the angle of the incline, the mass and velocity of the ball, and the coefficient of friction between the ball and the inclined plane. These factors determine the trajectory and speed of the ball after colliding with the inclined plane.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the collision?

The angle of the inclined plane determines the direction of the ball's trajectory after the collision. A steeper angle will result in a more vertical trajectory, while a shallower angle will result in a more horizontal trajectory. The angle also affects the amount of time the ball spends in contact with the inclined plane, which can impact its speed and direction after the collision.

3. What role does the mass and velocity of the ball play in the collision?

The mass and velocity of the ball determine its momentum, which is a key factor in the collision. A heavier and faster-moving ball will have a greater momentum, resulting in a more powerful collision and potentially a longer distance traveled after the collision.

4. How is the coefficient of friction between the ball and the inclined plane important in the collision?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In the case of a ball colliding with a fixed inclined plane, the coefficient of friction between the ball and the plane will determine how much the ball's trajectory and speed are affected by the collision. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater change in the ball's motion, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a smoother collision.

5. Can the collision of a ball with a fixed inclined plane be accurately predicted?

Yes, the collision of a ball with a fixed inclined plane can be accurately predicted using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion. By taking into account the various factors mentioned earlier, scientists and engineers can accurately predict the trajectory and speed of the ball after the collision and use this information to design and optimize systems that involve this type of collision.