Differentiation of conic section equation

In summary, the conversation is about the time derivative of equation 1.5-4, specifically how it is derived in the form given at 2.5-2. The conversation includes attempts at rewriting the equation using trigonometric identities and finally the solution is found. The excerpt is from the textbook "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" by Roger Bate, Donald Mueller, and Jerry White.
tauon

Homework Statement

I do not understand how the authors got the time derivative of equation 1.5-4 in the form given at 2.5-2.

RimvVF6.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{p}{1+e cos\sigma}=-\frac{p}{(1+ecos\sigma)^2}(-esin\sigma\dot\sigma)=\frac{pe\, sin\sigma\dot\sigma}{1+2e\,cos\sigma+e^2cos^2\sigma}[/tex]

?

I tried various rewrites using trigonometric identities, but the equation just got so complicated that it'd take me a long time to typeset it in this post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I got the derivation. I also found out I am blind/can't read.

Hi tauon! I'm curious if you could share how you got the derivation, or which textbook your above excerpt is from. I'm trying to get to equation 2.5-2 from this excerpt, but seem to be getting stuck the same spot you were. Thanks!

Hi. This might be very late now, but I didn't check this thread since I got the solution. :p
In case someone runs into it in the future, this is the derivation I used
xAij0s7.png

Oh, and the excerpt is from "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" (authors Roger Bate, Donald Mueller, and Jerry White) the 1971 edition.

Last edited:

1. What is a conic section?

A conic section is a curve that is formed by the intersection of a plane with a cone. There are four main types of conic sections: circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

2. How do you differentiate a conic section equation?

The process of differentiating a conic section equation involves finding the derivative of the equation with respect to one of the variables. This can be done using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and the chain rule.

3. What is the general equation for a conic section?

The general equation for a conic section is Ax² + Bxy + Cy² + Dx + Ey + F = 0, where A, B, C, D, E, and F are constants and x and y are variables. The specific equation for each type of conic section can be obtained by setting different values for these constants.

4. How do you determine the type of conic section from its equation?

To determine the type of conic section from its equation, you can use the discriminant (B² - 4AC) of the general equation. If the discriminant is positive, the conic section is a hyperbola; if it is zero, the conic section is a parabola; and if it is negative, the conic section is an ellipse.

5. What are some real-life applications of conic sections?

Conic sections have many real-life applications, such as in optics for designing lenses and mirrors, in navigation for calculating the trajectories of objects, and in architecture for constructing arches, domes, and other curved structures. They are also used in engineering and physics for modeling the motion of objects in space.