Linear function problem alternative solution

In summary, the conversation discusses an alternative way to solve a problem involving a linear function. The function is given as ##f(a+1)=a+2## and the goal is to write it in the ## y=kx+m ## form. The solution involves finding the slope and y-intercept using different methods, such as finding the slope with the formula ##m = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}## or by letting ##a = x+1## and simplifying the equation to ##f(x) = x+1##.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hey!
I am searching for an alternative way to solve this problem
1. The problem
For a linear funtion following applies:
##f(a+1)=a+2##
Write the linear function on the ## y=kx+m ## form

Homework Equations

##f(a+1)=a+2 \\ y=kx+m ##

3. The attempt
Here is how I solved the problem:
##f(a+1)=k(a+1)+m \\ k(a+1)+m = a+2 \\ k(a+1)+m = a+1+1 \\ k(a+1)+m = 1 \cdot (a+1)+1 ##
Following gives ##k=1## and ##m=1##. This means that the equation is:
$$y=x+1$$

Any ideas on how I could solve this differently?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is worth noticing ##f(1) = 2, \space f(2) = 3, \space f(3) = 4, ...##

You can easily find the slope in this manner:

##m = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = 1##

Then using anyone of those points, say ##f(1) = 2##, you find that ##y = mx + b \Rightarrow b = 1##.

Rectifier said:
Hey!
I am searching for an alternative way to solve this problem
1. The problem
For a linear funtion following applies:
##f(a+1)=a+2##
Write the linear function on the ## y=kx+m ## form

Homework Equations

##f(a+1)=a+2 \\ y=kx+m ##

3. The attempt
Here is how I solved the problem:
##f(a+1)=k(a+1)+m \\ k(a+1)+m = a+2 \\ k(a+1)+m = a+1+1 \\ k(a+1)+m = 1 \cdot (a+1)+1 ##
Following gives ##k=1## and ##m=1##. This means that the equation is:
$$y=x+1$$

Any ideas on how I could solve this differently?

Much quicker: for any given ##x## let ##a = x+1##. Then the equation says ##f(x) = x+1##.

Zondrina said:
It is worth noticing ##f(1) = 2, \space f(2) = 3, \space f(3) = 4, ...##

You can easily find the slope in this manner:

##m = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = 1##

Then using anyone of those points, say ##f(1) = 2##, you find that ##y = mx + b \Rightarrow b = 1##.

Yeah that an alternative too. Thanks for the comment :)

Ray Vickson said:
Much quicker: for any given ##x## let ##a = x+1##. Then the equation says ##f(x) = x+1##.

Thank you for the comment.

Do you mean like that:

##f((x+1)+1)=(x+1)+2##

?

If yes, what's is the next step?

Rectifier said:
Thank you for the comment.

Do you mean like that:

##f((x+1)+1)=(x+1)+2##

?

If yes, what's is the next step?

Sorry: there was a typo in my post. It should have said that for any given ##x##, let ##a = x-1##. That gives ##f(x) = x+1##. Since this holds for any ##x## that's it: there is no more to be done.

1. What is a linear function problem alternative solution?

A linear function problem alternative solution is a method for solving a linear function problem that differs from the traditional algebraic approach. It may involve graphical or numerical methods, or a combination of both.

2. Why would someone use an alternative solution for a linear function problem?

Some individuals may find the traditional algebraic approach to solving linear function problems difficult or confusing. An alternative solution may provide a simpler and more intuitive way of understanding and solving the problem.

3. Are there any advantages to using an alternative solution for a linear function problem?

Yes, there are several potential advantages to using an alternative solution for a linear function problem. It may allow for a quicker and more efficient solution, provide a better understanding of the problem, and offer a different perspective on the problem-solving process.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using an alternative solution for a linear function problem?

One potential disadvantage of using an alternative solution for a linear function problem is that it may not always be applicable or accurate. It may also require additional knowledge or skills, such as graphing or using a calculator, which could be a barrier for some individuals.

5. What are some examples of alternative solutions for linear function problems?

Examples of alternative solutions for linear function problems may include using a graphing calculator to graph the function and find the coordinates of the points of intersection, using a table of values to plot the function and determine its slope, or using a system of equations to solve for the variables.