Are Other Dimension Universes Plausible?

• Thread starter Gold Barz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary: This suggests that if we could somehow "leak" gravitational energy into another universe, it would be in a state of collapse or explosion.
Gold Barz
I mean is it somewhat science or is it purely sci-fi?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Gold Barz said:
I mean is it somewhat science or is it purely sci-fi?

Do you mean more dimensions in our universe or other universes with a different number of dimensions?

yes, our universe itself acording to m-theory is 11 dimensional

SpaceTiger said:
Do you mean more dimensions in our universe or other universes with a different number of dimensions?

Both...string theorists say both is true, that our brane is 11 dimensions but it is also just one "slice", so to speak.

Gold Barz said:
Both...string theorists say both is true, that our brane is 11 dimensions but it is also just one "slice", so to speak.

Both are certainly possible, though any talk about separate universes is pointless. Separate universes would, by definition, have no impact on ours, so we can only speculate about them. As for extra spatial dimensions in our universe, let's wait until it's actually observed before we jump to any conclusions. I'm not well versed in string theory, but I do know that it hasn't produced any successful predictions yet.

What is the definition of a dimension and the definition of a universe? If we answer unambiguously these questions we can probably proceed to find answers to the original question.
Also as SpaceTiger mentioned, if we cannot have any interaction with other universes then it is pointless to discuss about them.

Well string theorists say that gravity might "leak" into other universes, I mean these "higher dimensions" and "other universes" are said to come right out of the String Theory equations, but of course it is all just scientific equations and there is no evidence, but it is still scientific, right?

Gold Barz said:
Well string theorists say that gravity might "leak" into other universes

I would say this makes them part of our universe, by my definition, but ramollari is absolutely right that we need to agree on a definition of "universe".

Even if these other universes are extremely different from ours?

Gold Barz said:
Even if these other universes are extremely different from ours?
When somebody tells you that out universe is extremely energetic (as the quantum theorists do today), you should ask yourself why things like gravitation, cosmological expansion, etc are so fine-tuned. Then after you've managed to convince yourself that this can be true, you might want to ask yourself what our universe would look like if gravity or any other force can "leak" into another universe.

If gravity and the cosmological constant have been fine-tuned for 13.7 Billion years so that the univese has not collapsed or exploded, there's got to be one heck of a damping factor in play if we can strip gravitational energy out of our universe and give it to another one without causing the immediate collapse or explosion of the other.

1. What is the concept of other dimension universes?

The concept of other dimension universes is based on the theory that there may exist other universes existing parallel to our own, with their own unique set of physical laws and dimensions. This theory is often explored in science fiction and theoretical physics.

2. How do scientists study the possibility of other dimension universes?

Scientists study the possibility of other dimension universes through various theoretical models and mathematical equations. They also look for evidence in astronomical observations and experiments, such as studying the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

3. Is there any concrete evidence for the existence of other dimension universes?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence for the existence of other dimension universes. However, some scientists believe that the theory of inflation, which suggests the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages, could potentially support the existence of other universes.

4. How would the existence of other dimension universes impact our understanding of the universe?

If other dimension universes were proven to exist, it would greatly impact our understanding of the universe and potentially even challenge our current laws of physics. It could also provide explanations for some of the mysteries of the universe, such as dark matter and energy.

5. Could we ever travel to other dimension universes?

At this point, it is purely speculative if we could ever travel to other dimension universes. Some theories suggest the possibility of using advanced technology or wormholes to access other universes, but this is still far from being a reality. It may also be impossible to travel to other universes due to the differences in physical laws and dimensions.