Distance, acceleration, and time

In summary, the camera needs to accelerate and decelerate smoothly to cover the distance in a time that is equal to the square root of the distance covered.
HopeDagger
Hey there, everyone. Looks like some splendid forums you've got here. This isn't really a homework question, but rather an application I am developing. However, the (lack of) complexity of the question seems to warrant it the best location here. :)

Alright, here's the issue in its generic form:

I have D, the distance that must be traveled.
I have A, the acceleration constant of the camera.

And I need to find T, the time it takes to cover the distance if the speed is accelerating at A/sec.

Then there's the tougher part. To make camera movement smooth, I need the camera to reverse its acceleration halfway to the target, and slow down to a smooth stop at the end of the distance to be covered. This might not really fit into the physics, and be more of a programming issue for me to handle. If so, no problem, I'm more so concerned with the core problem at the top.

I'm certainly being picky, but any help is most graciously appreciated! Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
HopeDagger said:
Hey there, everyone. Looks like some splendid forums you've got here. This isn't really a homework question, but rather an application I am developing. However, the (lack of) complexity of the question seems to warrant it the best location here. :)

Alright, here's the issue in its generic form:

I have D, the distance that must be traveled.
I have A, the acceleration constant of the camera.

And I need to find T, the time it takes to cover the distance if the speed is accelerating at A/sec.

Then there's the tougher part. To make camera movement smooth, I need the camera to reverse its acceleration halfway to the target, and slow down to a smooth stop at the end of the distance to be covered. This might not really fit into the physics, and be more of a programming issue for me to handle. If so, no problem, I'm more so concerned with the core problem at the top.

I'm certainly being picky, but any help is most graciously appreciated! Thanks! :)

Use the equation: D = .5*a*T^2

So, what you seem to be saying is you want the camera to accelerate smoothly at rate A for distance D/2, then decelerate smoothly (also at rate A?) until it reaches distance D.

The time required for the acceleration, if the camera starts from rest, will be given by

[tex]D/2 = \frac{1}{2} At^2[/tex]

which gives

[tex]t = \sqrt{\frac{D}{A}}[/tex]

Since the problem is symmetrical, the total time to move the entire distance D will be twice this value.

Likes eddddddd
You guys are fantastic (and quick!). Thanks a bunch.

1. What is the formula for distance?

The formula for distance is d = v * t, where d represents distance, v represents velocity, and t represents time.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a represents acceleration, vf represents final velocity, vi represents initial velocity, and t represents time.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total path traveled, while displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the change in position from the starting point to the ending point.

4. How does time affect the distance traveled?

The longer the time, the greater the distance traveled, assuming a constant velocity. This is because distance is directly proportional to time when velocity is constant.

5. How does acceleration affect the velocity and distance traveled?

Acceleration affects both velocity and distance traveled. An increase in acceleration will result in a greater change in velocity over time, leading to a greater distance traveled. On the other hand, a decrease in acceleration will result in a smaller change in velocity and distance traveled.