Can Humans Really Have Superhuman Strength?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strength
In summary, the television show "Real TV" showed a large man lifting a small helicopter with someone trapped inside it. Even as I saw it with my own eyes, it didn't look possible. Now mind you, it was just a small chopper (Bell 47G, if I remember correctly), and he didn't exactly lift it over his head, just rolled it enough for the trapped pilot to be pulled out. Still, this is looked like something that shouldn't be possible.
ThomasEdison said:
They aren't the same circumstances. Only the exact same lift can be compared to the exact same lift.

And this is also blatantly false, btw. Each of those lifts (no matter is an odd lift, like a truck pull or rolling an atlas stone or a snatch can be easily reduced to a mechanical system and the forces required can be easily determined. Human movement can, and it is, reasonably precise modeled and described through physics. Human neuromechanics laboratories are found in many universities studying how the neuro-muscular interactions produces movement and coordination. They deal with physical models of human movement on a daily basis.

I can only guess guess that a side effect of watching circus is making some humans forget elementary physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DanP said:
No one contests they are different. But you claim that a random person can lift more than a weightlifter by placing their hand and feet differently.

You cant. Get a grip on reality. Try it. Try to lift a barbel overhead from floor, or any other objects, placing your hands and feet in any way you want. Use the leverage of your body in any way you want. You will fail to lift half the weight those man and women lift. Enough with theory.

And BTW, powerlifting in not an Olympic sport. Weightlifting is.
No, that wasn't his claim. You misinterpreted what he wrote.

His claim was that, with the same person lifting in both an official and unofficial setting, they would be able to lift more in an unofficial setting because they have more freedom with the placement of their hands and feet. He wasn't comparing a random person in an unofficial setting to a professional in an official setting, but to a random person in an unofficial setting to themselves in an official setting.

I don't know how accurate that claim is, but I just thought I'd set it straight.

personally i think this is possible because as a child i was attacked and sent the man flying 30 feet back slamming against a wall.

morteck581 said:
personally i think this is possible because as a child i was attacked and sent the man flying 30 feet back slamming against a wall.

It's more likely that you don't remember the events the way they happened.

It would be nice to think that superheroes exist. They don't. As I posted something like 18 pages ago, the only incredible feat here is the general failings of human recollection. Study after study have shown that memory is fallible and all to easy to influence. The 90lb lady who rolls a car off her child in an emergency quickly becomes the 90lb lady who lifted a 2000lb car off her child. It just sounds better as a tale to tell. Before long she's heard the myth about what she did so many times her recollection of the event changes to fit.

morteck581 said:

:rolleyes:

Drakkith said:
It's more likely that you don't remember the events the way they happened.

:approve:

EDIT: Personally, I think it's possible because, as a child, I was attacked and (luckily) I had a can of spinach in my hand. I was able to squeeze the sealed can so hard that the spinach was propelled upwards, out of the can, and directly into my mouth. As a result my forearms grew to an immense size, deforming my anchor tattoos, and I was able to fend of Bluto.

Last edited:
<h2>1. Can humans really have superhuman strength?</h2><p>The concept of "superhuman strength" is often associated with extraordinary physical abilities that exceed the normal limits of human strength. While some individuals may possess exceptional strength due to genetic factors or intense training, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of superhuman strength in the traditional sense.</p><h2>2. Are there any real-life examples of superhuman strength?</h2><p>There have been reported cases of individuals displaying extraordinary feats of strength, such as lifting cars or bending metal bars. However, these instances are often attributed to adrenaline surges, which can temporarily increase muscle strength and endurance beyond normal levels. These feats are not sustainable and do not qualify as superhuman strength.</p><h2>3. Can technology or enhancements give humans superhuman strength?</h2><p>While technology and enhancements, such as exoskeletons or performance-enhancing drugs, may increase a person's strength and physical abilities, they do not grant superhuman strength. These enhancements have limitations and can also have negative consequences on a person's health.</p><h2>4. Are there any animals that exhibit superhuman strength?</h2><p>Some animals, such as ants and beetles, are known for their incredible strength relative to their size. However, this is due to their unique physiological adaptations and does not qualify as superhuman strength. Animals do not possess the same complex musculoskeletal system as humans, making it impossible for them to have superhuman strength.</p><h2>5. What are some common misconceptions about superhuman strength?</h2><p>One common misconception is that individuals with superhuman strength are invincible and cannot be harmed. In reality, they are still susceptible to injuries and physical limitations like any other human. Another misconception is that superhuman strength is a result of a single gene or mutation, when in fact, it is a combination of various factors, including genetics, training, and environmental factors.</p>

1. Can humans really have superhuman strength?

The concept of "superhuman strength" is often associated with extraordinary physical abilities that exceed the normal limits of human strength. While some individuals may possess exceptional strength due to genetic factors or intense training, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of superhuman strength in the traditional sense.

2. Are there any real-life examples of superhuman strength?

There have been reported cases of individuals displaying extraordinary feats of strength, such as lifting cars or bending metal bars. However, these instances are often attributed to adrenaline surges, which can temporarily increase muscle strength and endurance beyond normal levels. These feats are not sustainable and do not qualify as superhuman strength.

3. Can technology or enhancements give humans superhuman strength?

While technology and enhancements, such as exoskeletons or performance-enhancing drugs, may increase a person's strength and physical abilities, they do not grant superhuman strength. These enhancements have limitations and can also have negative consequences on a person's health.

4. Are there any animals that exhibit superhuman strength?

Some animals, such as ants and beetles, are known for their incredible strength relative to their size. However, this is due to their unique physiological adaptations and does not qualify as superhuman strength. Animals do not possess the same complex musculoskeletal system as humans, making it impossible for them to have superhuman strength.

5. What are some common misconceptions about superhuman strength?

One common misconception is that individuals with superhuman strength are invincible and cannot be harmed. In reality, they are still susceptible to injuries and physical limitations like any other human. Another misconception is that superhuman strength is a result of a single gene or mutation, when in fact, it is a combination of various factors, including genetics, training, and environmental factors.