Exploring the Chemistry of Stem Cells

In summary, researchers are trying to figure out what defines a stem cell, it is a complicated system and requires the right signals intrinically AND extrinsically (a certain niche).
cronxeh
Gold Member
As I'm watching the PBS presentation about stem cells ( http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3209/04.html ) and the debate on whether we should use the stem cells for research or not, I wonder what is the chemical make up of those stem cells. It is obvious that it is a DNA molecule, so it is in the domain of polymer chemistry.

My question is, how can we achieve that state of intelligence where we don't need to use biological principles to grow stem cells, but could make it into a routine chemical engineering process by developing those stem cells in a batch, in massive quantities?

Biology news on Phys.org
We can't create an entire cell yet, especially not a eukaryotic cell. To do so would go beyond polymer chemistry.

Stem cells are important because (1) they can be perfect genetic matches for individuals needing some sort of cell-based treatment and (2) they have so much plasticity - they can develop into a host of other cell types.

DNA synthesis technology, at present, allows us to synthesize stretches of (if I recall) hundreds of bases. A human genome, on the other hand, is... billions? of bases long. Also, there are errors that creep into synthetic DNA, more easily than into your cell's DNA.

So, it's not really a viable idea at the moment to create the DNA you need in a lab. but if it were, there would be additional problems.

Simple artificial cells (simple bacteria with very small genomes) are starting to be made by Craig Ventor's group. I forget the reason he's doing this. But a simple bacterium is only a miniscule fraction of the complexity of a eukaryotic cell - which is what a stem cell is. A eukaryotic cell has organeles, is much more massive, the DNA and cellular chemistry is present in a particular state which is precisely what *allows* the cell to be pluripotent, etc.

I think it is more liklely that adult stem cell technology will reach the end you seem to be looking for; also in other countries embryonic stem cell technology will continue to move forward.

The key is that you can reprogram cells, theoretically you can take an adult cell and give it the right cues that turn it into a stem cell with different potentials. Right now we use cloning to reset adult cells and make them pluripotent, if you pass a nucleus through an oocyte several times you can grow a new organism out of it.

Researchers are trying to figure out what defines a stem cell, it is a complicated system and requires the right signals intrinically AND extrinsically (a certain niche).

pattylou said:
Simple artificial cells (simple bacteria with very small genomes) are starting to be made by Craig Ventor's group. I forget the reason he's doing this.

Rather than creating artificial bacteria, as he originally contemplated, Venter is now trying to "reprogram" an existing simple bacterium by removing its DNA and replacing it with artificial DNA. The idea is to create organisms with totally artificial metabolisms that can do industrial things like consume waste.

Ah. Thanks.

Wisconsin? I earned my PhD in Madison, 1994, Dept. of Bacteriology. Have we met?

Toddling off to see your journal...

1. What are stem cells?

Stem cells are special cells that have the ability to develop into different types of cells in the body. They are crucial for the growth, repair, and maintenance of tissues and organs.

2. What is the role of chemistry in studying stem cells?

Chemistry plays a crucial role in understanding the properties and behavior of stem cells. It helps scientists identify and isolate stem cells, as well as manipulate their growth and differentiation.

3. How are stem cells used in medicine?

Stem cells have the potential to be used in regenerative medicine for treating a variety of diseases and injuries. They can be used to replace damaged or diseased cells, tissues, and organs and potentially cure conditions such as Parkinson's disease, diabetes, and spinal cord injuries.

4. What ethical concerns are associated with research on stem cells?

One of the main ethical concerns surrounding stem cell research is the use of embryonic stem cells, which are derived from human embryos. This raises questions about the beginning of human life and the destruction of embryos. However, there are also alternative sources of stem cells, such as adult stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells, which do not raise the same ethical concerns.

5. How is chemistry being used to improve the use of stem cells in medicine?

Chemistry is being used to develop new methods for generating and maintaining large quantities of stem cells for research and medical use. It is also being used to improve the efficiency and safety of stem cell therapies, as well as to understand the mechanisms behind stem cell differentiation and self-renewal.