Is velocity something an object has or something object experiences?

• Thread starter h_k331
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
Acceleration is something that both humans and objects can experience, with humans even being able to black out from high levels of acceleration. However, humans do not experience velocity and can only measure it with respect to something else. Objects also experience acceleration, but on a smaller scale at the atomic level.
h_k331
And how about acceleration?

hk

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Acceleration might be the easier one to answer so I'll start with that. The truth is both! Humans can experience acceleration (pilots can black out from "experiencing" 4+ Gs). If I have acceleration and so do you I may measure your acceleration to be relative to mine; you may experience 4G's but you may only "have" 2G's relative to me. Humans do not experience velocity; if you were in a box traveling at 100km/hr you wouldn’t actually know you were moving unless you were able to measure your velocity with respect to something else (visually). But then you would have to ask yourself,

“Am I moving or is it?”

As for objects I believe they fall under the same category as humans although a rock will not black out, but the individual atoms will experience acceleration.

Hope that answers your question.

Merle

Last edited:
That answers my question, thank you much M.Hamilton.

hk

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measurement of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. Is velocity something an object has or something an object experiences?

Velocity is something an object has. It is a characteristic or property of the object that describes its motion.

3. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. While speed only measures how fast an object is moving, velocity also includes the direction of motion.

4. Can an object have zero velocity?

Yes, an object can have zero velocity if it is not moving or if it is moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

5. How is velocity measured?

Velocity is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour. It can be calculated by dividing the distance an object travels by the time it takes to travel that distance.