How many hours should i take next semester?

• Thread starter leon1127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Semester
In summary: E&MModern PhysicsGroup TheoryDiff EqTopology6-hour physics labI suggest a 5-6 course workload, so 15-18 credits.
leon1127
I am currently a freshman in university with 25 hours credit. After this semester, I will be able to take chemistry 2 (3), phy 2 (E&M and wave) (3), linear algebra(4) , D.E with application (4) , Multivariable Calculus (4) , Theoretical Concepts of calculus (3) , and abstract Algebra 1 (3) in UT Dallas and some core classes in junior college. I plan to take all science related classes in UTD, my question therefore is how much hours and what classes i should take if there is not max limit hours?
I believe i can take the work load of 3 math classes and 4 other classes. And I will follow for the FastTrack 5 years Master plan in MS of mathematical science major that they offer.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
leon1127 said:
I am currently a freshman in university with 25 hours credit. After this semester, I will be able to take chemistry 2 (3), phy 2 (E&M and wave) (3), linear algebra(4) , D.E with application (4) , Multivariable Calculus (4) , Theoretical Concepts of calculus (3) , and abstract Algebra 1 (3) in UT Dallas and some core classes in junior college. I plan to take all science related classes in UTD, my question therefore is how much hours and what classes i should take if there is not max limit hours?
I believe i can take the work load of 3 math classes and 4 other classes. And I will follow for the FastTrack 5 years Master plan in MS of mathematical science major that they offer.

Any advise will be appreciated.

anyone can help me?

hmm.. 25 hours. do you sleep? I've taken 21 hours a couple times, but it doesn't leave you much time for anything else. My freshman year i took 15 hours and 18 hours, respectively. That seemed to work well for me. Even if the junior classes are easier, 25 hours is a huge load.

Ive got 25 next semester, and I doubt Ill have time to sleep:
mechanics2
E&M
Modern Physics
Group Theory
Diff Eq
Topology
6-hour physics lab

I suggest a 5-6 course workload, so 15-18 credits.

leon1127 said:
[...] in UT Dallas [...] UTD
You attend UTD?
So do I.

UTD Whoosh!

leon1127, I am not sure did I understand American system correctly and if I did does it mean you will take 7 courses per semester? Otherwise 25hrs is not a big deal. That is a common thing in Canada for Arts students, and engineering/math students are around 30hrs, which is 6 courses per semester.

Pls could you tell me how many courses will you take/semester.

leon1127 said:
anyone can help me?

In my opinion, it is foolish and dangerous to take all of those courses at the same time. Juggling so many mathematics courses at the same time is a terrible idea. You will not be able to fully integrate the important material you learn in these classes in your mind if you have so many fundamental courses stacked in one semester.

Maxwell said:
In my opinion, it is foolish and dangerous to take all of those courses at the same time. Juggling so many mathematics courses at the same time is a terrible idea. You will not be able to fully integrate the important material you learn in these classes in your mind if you have so many fundamental courses stacked in one semester.

Thx, but I am the kind that study ahead before i take the course. I am working on ODE by myself, I believe when i walk in that class, i will do better than most of the students. My goal is to finish my master degree ASAP, so that i can work to support my sister's tuition -_-"

You are crazy

I am taking 20 hours of all math/physics classes while working as a math TA this semester and I think it was a mistake. I'm fairly certain I'll come out of it with a 4.0, but I am DEFINITELY not learning material to the depth that I do when I only take 5 classes (and not working). There's enough time to do the homework and study for the tests, but there is no time to mull anything over and so the number of mind blowing deep connections I've ran into this fall has been disappointingly low.

1. How do I determine the right number of credit hours to take next semester?

This can vary depending on your personal circumstances and academic goals. It's important to consider factors such as your class schedule, work or extracurricular commitments, and how much time you need to devote to studying. Generally, full-time students take between 12-18 credit hours per semester.

2. Is it better to take more or fewer credit hours?

It's important to find a balance between taking enough credit hours to make progress towards your degree, but not so many that you feel overwhelmed and unable to keep up with your coursework. It's recommended to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best course load for you.

3. Can I take more credit hours than the recommended amount?

It's possible to take more than the recommended amount of credit hours, but it's important to consider the potential consequences. Taking on too many credit hours can lead to burnout and negatively impact your grades and overall academic performance. Make sure to assess your workload and abilities before deciding to take on extra credit hours.

4. How many credit hours should I take if I work full-time?

If you work full-time, it's important to consider how many hours you can realistically commit to schoolwork while still maintaining your job. Taking on a full course load may not be feasible, so it's recommended to take fewer credit hours and spread them out over a longer period of time.

5. Can I change the number of credit hours I'm taking during the semester?

It's possible to add or drop classes during the semester, but it's important to consider the deadlines and potential consequences. Dropping a class could affect your financial aid or graduation timeline, so it's recommended to consult with an academic advisor before making any changes to your course load.