AP Physics Lab: Coefficient of Friction

In summary, the student is trying to find the coefficient of friction between a car and rail. They have data on the weight of the car, the width of the ruler, and the angles, masses, and times at which the rail was set up. They are trying to calculate the equation for the downhill force, but are getting really big numbers.
gothicpie
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I hope I can find some help with my AP Physics class! I find the subject really interesting, I just have a hard time applying it. Also, I don't really know the people in my AP Physics class, so it would be awkward to ask them for help.

Anyway, last week we did this Lab to find the Coefficient of Friction. I have the data and need help on how to find the coefficient of friction.

The lab goes as follows: We have a car and rail set up a certain degree. At the end of the rail there is a photogate, and we tape a ruler on the top of the car (so that it passes through the photogate). At the top of the rail there is a pulley, and a string that goes through it. One end of the string is attached to the car, and the other end to a certain mass. We are supposed to calculate the friction between the car and the rail.

The information that I have is the weight of the car (.348kg), the width of the ruler that was taped onto the car (.025m), and 4 sets of angles, masses, and times. (For example, the rail was set up at a 43 degree angle and the mass on the other end of the string from the car weighed .0994 kg. The cart took .018 seconds to go through the photogate 9 times, and .017 twice.)

Now, I've got this equation from a lab partner, but I keep getting really big numbers for the coefficient. (The equation is: acceleration times the total mass equals mass of the cart times sin theta minus the mass hanging from the string times gravity minus mu (coefficient of friction) times mass of the cart times gravity times cosine theta... a(tm) = (m1 sine theta - mass2 g) - mu(m1 g cosine theta)...). The "m1 g sine theta" is the equation for the downhill force.

I hope this is enough information for someone to help me. If possible, maybe someone could figure out a coefficient for me and explain while they're doing it, how? Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me see if I have this right. A free falling mass over a pulley or something is pulling the car up an incline ?

Let me see if I have this right. A free falling mass over a pulley or something is pulling the car up an incline ?

The car is going down the incline, and there is a string attached to the car which goes over the pulley and has a weight attached to it.

Like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/gothicpie/physicslabfriction.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of the AP Physics Lab: Coefficient of Friction?

The purpose of this lab is to determine the coefficient of friction between two surfaces. This value is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when one is moving or attempting to move over the other.

What materials are needed for the AP Physics Lab: Coefficient of Friction?

The materials needed for this lab typically include a flat surface, a block of wood or metal, a pulley, a weight, a string, a ruler or measuring tape, and a protractor or level for measuring angles.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated in this lab?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, which is the perpendicular force exerted by the surface on the object. This value can be determined by measuring the angle of the ramp and the weight of the object.

What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the surface roughness, the weight of the object, and the type of materials in contact. It can also be affected by the temperature and the presence of any lubricants or other substances on the surfaces.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the coefficient of friction?

Understanding the coefficient of friction is important in many real-world applications, such as designing brake systems for cars, determining the grip of tires on different road surfaces, and creating non-slip surfaces for floors and shoes. It is also important in sports, such as determining the ideal materials for sports equipment and playing surfaces.