Air flow speed at top of airplane wing

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the required lift for an aircraft wing based on the speed of air flow. The equation used is FA = 1/2p(Vf^2-Vb^2)A, but the area is not given. Instead, the equation Pb - Pt = 1/2p(Vf^2-Vb^2) is suggested, with 25.4 lb/ft^2 corresponding to (Pb-Pt). However, there is confusion about the units, with some people getting a different answer of 519 instead of the expected 621.26ft. Ultimately, it is clarified that lb/ft^2 does not convert into slugs/ft^2.
kashmirekat
Hello all,

Here's my problem, verbatim:
An aircraft wing requires a lift of 25.4 lb/ft^2. If the speed of flow of the air along the bottom surface of the wing is to be 500ft/s, what must be the speed of flow over the top surface of the wing to give the required lift?
(NOTE: Density of air is 2.54 x 10^-3 slug/ft^3)

F = 25.4lb/ft^2 = 0.789 slug/ft^2
Vb = 500ft/s

The equation I am using is
FA = 1/2p(Vf^2-Vb^2)A
However, I do not have the area for this problem and I was told that I don't need it, to use the equation Pb - Pt = 1/2p(Vf^2-Vb^2) and the 25.4 lb/ft^2 corresponds to (Pb-Pt). I've tried doing the equation, but units do not come out correctly.

0.789 slug/ft^2 = 1/2(2.54 x 10^-3 slug/ft^3)(Vf^2 - (500ft/s)^2)
0.789 slug/ft^2 = (1.27 x 10 ^-3 slug/ft^3)(Vf^2 - 250,000ft^2/s^2)
0.789 slug/ft^2 = (1.27 x 10 ^-3 slug/ft^3)Vf^2 - 317.5 slug/fts^2
0.789 slug/ft^2 + 317.5 slug/fts^2 = (1.27 x 10 ^-3 slug/ft^3)Vf^2
621.26ft + 250,000ft^2/s^2 = Vf^2

Where did I go wrong? Some people were getting 519, but that's only if you use 25.4 lb/ft^2, and you can't do that unless you ignore units of lb and slug.
Thank you for your help and have a nice day!

Physics news on Phys.org
lb/ft^2 does not convert into slugs/ft^2

It coverts into [tex]\frac{slug*\frac{ft}{sec^2}}{ft^2} [/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{slug}{ft*sec^2}[/tex]

Thank you.

What is the purpose of measuring air flow speed at the top of an airplane wing?

The measurement of air flow speed at the top of an airplane wing is crucial for understanding the aerodynamics of the wing. It helps determine the lift force generated by the wing, which is essential for keeping the airplane airborne.

How is the air flow speed at the top of an airplane wing measured?

The air flow speed at the top of an airplane wing is typically measured using a device called a pitot tube. This device has two openings - one facing the airflow and one facing the opposite direction. By measuring the difference in pressure between these two openings, the air flow speed can be calculated.

What factors can affect the air flow speed at the top of an airplane wing?

The air flow speed at the top of an airplane wing can be affected by various factors such as the shape and angle of the wing, the speed and direction of the aircraft, and the density of the air. Other factors like altitude, temperature, and humidity can also play a role in determining the air flow speed.

Why is it important to maintain a certain air flow speed at the top of an airplane wing?

The air flow speed at the top of an airplane wing needs to be maintained within a certain range for optimal aerodynamic performance. If the speed is too low, the wing may not generate enough lift, and the aircraft may not be able to stay airborne. On the other hand, if the speed is too high, it can cause turbulence and reduce the lift force, affecting the stability of the aircraft.

How does the air flow speed at the top of an airplane wing affect fuel efficiency?

The air flow speed at the top of an airplane wing has a direct impact on the fuel efficiency of the aircraft. A higher air flow speed can lead to increased drag, which requires more fuel to maintain a certain speed. Therefore, it is essential to maintain a smooth and efficient air flow at the top of the wing to minimize fuel consumption.