My Weapon in Times of Turmoil: The Fight for Victory

• Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, the conversation discusses various weapons of choice and their effectiveness in different situations. Some suggest a sniper rifle or poetry as a means of defense, while others mention gadgets like a pen with hidden weapons. The conversation also touches on the use of war cries and the power of rallying the masses. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a joke about the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch and a reminder that fighting should be a last resort.

My weapon of choice is..

• Automatic Assault Rifle

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • A Handgun

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A Pen

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • A Poem

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Fist fight

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
cronxeh
Gold Member
In times of turmoil, against the enemy most loathed, what would be your weapon of choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sniper Rifle.

The best way to get shot is to carry a gun*
I'd rather avoid conflict.

*Not strictly true, but you get the point.

Poetry is mightier than the sword/spear/halberd/lance/pistol/assault rifle/club/etc.

As your assailant comes down upon you, instead of resisting with force, you confuse them by reciting ambiguous poetry such as Pushkin's The Bronze Horseman, and while they are scratching their heads and trying to figure out the general theme and underlying morals of the poem, you'd make your getaway :biggrin:.

Though that is rather unlikely.

motai said:
Poetry is mightier than the sword/spear/halberd/lance/pistol/assault rifle/club/etc.
As your assailant comes down upon you, instead of resisting with force, you confuse them by reciting ambiguous poetry such as Pushkin's The Bronze Horseman, and while they are scratching their heads and trying to figure out the general theme and underlying morals of the poem, you'd make your getaway :biggrin:.
Though that is rather unlikely.

This is quite a well established fact. It's the very reason that the war-cry was invented. The first mention of a war cry was by Homer, in his Illiad. As the greeks charged the Trojan lines, the Trojan war poets began to recite their verses, but unexpectedly, all the greeks let loose with a collective cry of "Λα Λα Λα δεν μπορεί να σας ακούσει!", which translates roughly as "La la la, can't hear you!" The poets were slaughtered, and the Trojans forced to retreat behind the city walls.

matthyaouw said:
This is quite a well established fact. It's the very reason that the war-cry was invented. The first mention of a war cry was by Homer, in his Illiad. As the greeks charged the Trojan lines, the Trojan war poets began to recite their verses, but unexpectedly, all the greeks let loose with a collective cry of "Λα Λα Λα δεν μπορεί να σας ακούσει!", which translates roughly as "La la la, can't hear you!" The poets were slaughtered, and the Trojans forced to retreat behind the city walls.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that's awesome!

The holy hand grenade of antioch

Hmm...a pen sounds like a good idea; one of those James Bond style pens. I can jot off a scathing letter, or stab them in the jugular with it, or when all else fails, turn it around and fire the poison dart hidden under the cap. :biggrin: :tongue2:

I didn't vote, but if I had it would be one of the first two. The choice would depend upon the circumstances, which you didn't specify. As a compromise, I would probably choose an Uzi or an HK MP5.

Yah like edgar allen poe would have stood a chance against my M16

Yes, it depends entirely on how you define the enemy and what he has done. Unfortunately it seems that each new generation is filled with those who must learn to despise war, so there are times when the sword is needed. But those who rush to war are the real enemies of peace.

Moonbear said:
Hmm...a pen sounds like a good idea; one of those James Bond style pens. I can jot off a scathing letter, or stab them in the jugular with it, or when all else fails, turn it around and fire the poison dart hidden under the cap. :biggrin: :tongue2:

That reminds me of a similar gadget I saw on TV today. Female British spies carried what looked like ordinary lipstick, but in fact contained a single bullet and firing pin operated by pulling back the bottom of the holder. Pretty cool, if not slightly risky if the spy needs to freshen up.

depends on how much bigger the guy is than me.

Depends on what weapon the enemy has. If he has a pistol i would want the assault rifle, if he has an assault rifle i would prefer a cruise missile.

Andy said:
Depends on what weapon the enemy has. If he has a pistol i would want the assault rifle, if he has an assault rifle i would prefer a cruise missile.

What if he has a pen

Christopher Walken

Maybe some of you will get the joke :biggrin:

You forgot the most potent weapon of all - other people. The best way to wage any campaign is to rally the masses.

Smoke and mirrors and a quick pair of legs. Fighting is the choice of the stupid and/or desperate.

Bladibla said:
The holy hand grenade of antioch

LOL! Excellent

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ...

Although I would fight and even kill if I had to I would prefer not to so I chose pen.
It looks like the pen and assault rifle are neck and neck so far. Too bad you didn't add sword to the list so we can see just how many people have faith in the pen over the sword.

And this gives me a great idea for a Halloween themed thread too...

If the other person had a pen? I think i would have to use a keyboard.

Pengwuino said:
What if he has a pen
I'm sure it would take too long to get the pigs mobilized to be of much use.

1. How did you come up with the idea for "My Weapon in Times of Turmoil: The Fight for Victory"?

The idea for this book came to me while I was doing research on the history of warfare and the impact it has on individuals and societies. I wanted to explore the concept of using personal struggles as a weapon in times of turmoil, and this book was the result of that exploration.

2. What inspired you to write about this topic?

I have always been fascinated by the resilience of the human spirit in the face of adversity. I wanted to delve deeper into the idea of using personal struggles as a means of strength in difficult times, and this book allowed me to do just that.

3. How does this book differ from other books about warfare and victory?

While many books focus on the tactics and strategies of warfare, "My Weapon in Times of Turmoil" takes a more personal and introspective approach. It explores the psychological and emotional aspects of war and how individuals can use their own struggles to find strength and victory.

4. What was the most challenging part of writing this book?

The most challenging part of writing this book was finding a balance between the personal stories and the historical context. It was important for me to create a narrative that was both informative and engaging, while also being respectful of the individuals whose stories I was sharing.

5. What do you hope readers will take away from "My Weapon in Times of Turmoil: The Fight for Victory"?

I hope that readers will gain a deeper understanding of the impact of war on individuals and societies, and how personal struggles can be transformed into sources of strength and victory. I also hope that this book will inspire readers to reflect on their own struggles and how they can use them to overcome challenges in their own lives.