Exploring Patterns in Sygma Formulas

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patterns
In summary, the conversation is about comparing the formulae for Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k, Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k(k+1), and Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k(k+1)(k+2). The formulas for these are 1/2 n(n+1), 1/3 n(n+1)(n+2), and 1/4 n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3), respectively. The conversation also includes a helpful observation and further comments from a participant named Ben.
Natasha1
I have a tricky question here...

Please just feed in any comments, anything you can spot that I can't

I have been asked to compare the formulae of Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k, Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k(k+1) and Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k(k+1)(k+2)?

Hence comparing these...

Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k = 1/2 n(n+1)
Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k(k+1) = 1/3 n(n+1)(n+2)
Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k(k+1)(k+2) = 1/4 n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)

I have been asked to comment on these as much as I possibly can? :confused: Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
poo, no one has a clue :uhh:

Here you go, Natasha.

Natasha1 said:
I have a tricky question here...
Please just feed in any comments, anything you can spot that I can't

I have been asked to compare the formulae of Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k, Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k(k+1) and Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k(k+1)(k+2)?
Hence comparing these...
Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k = 1/2 n(n+1)
Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k(k+1) = 1/3 n(n+1)(n+2)
Sygma (k=1 until n value) of k(k+1)(k+2) = 1/4 n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)
I have been asked to comment on these as much as I possibly can? :confused: Can anyone help?

Here is a helpful observation: [tex]k(k+1)\cdot\cdot\cdot(k+j)=\frac{(k+j)!}{(k-1)!}[/tex] and [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{(k+j)!}{(k-1)!}=\frac{n(n+j+1)!}{(j+2)n!}[/tex]
Note that [tex]k[/tex], [tex]k(k+1)[/tex], and [tex]k(k+1)(k+2)[/tex] are given by [tex]\frac{(k+j)!}{(k-1)!}[/tex] for [tex]j=0,1,\mbox{ and }2,[/tex] respectively, so that

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} k = \frac{n(n+0+1)!}{(0+2)n!} = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex],

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} k(k+1) = \frac{n(n+1+1)!}{(1+2)n!} = \frac{n(n+1)(n+2)}{3}[/tex],

and

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} k(k+1)(k+2) = \frac{n(n+2+1)!}{(2+2)n!} = \frac{n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)}{4}[/tex].
-Ben

Last edited:
Ben,

That is REALLY nice!

Can anyone see anything else please? :uhh:

thanks super Ben!

What are some common patterns in scientific research?

Some common patterns in scientific research include the scientific method, data collection and analysis, formulating hypotheses and theories, and peer review.

How do scientists identify patterns in data?

Scientists use statistical analysis and visualizations to identify patterns in data. They also look for similarities, trends, and correlations among the data.

Are there different types of patterns in science?

Yes, there are various types of patterns in science, such as spatial patterns, temporal patterns, and causal patterns. These patterns help scientists understand relationships and make predictions.

How do patterns help in scientific research?

Patterns help scientists make sense of large amounts of data and provide evidence to support their hypotheses and theories. They also aid in identifying potential relationships and making predictions about future outcomes.

Can patterns change over time in scientific research?

Yes, patterns can change over time as new data is collected and analyzed, and as scientific knowledge and technology advance. Scientists must constantly evaluate and update their understanding of patterns in order to make accurate conclusions.