Stable Equilibria: Is x = pie a Solution?

In summary: E = V. What does that mean?The equilibrium point is the point at which the potential energy is the same as the kinetic energy.
Nusc
Determine the location of the first postivve (x>0) stable equilibrium position for
V(x) = = Vocos((2pie/lambda)x)

eventually you will get sin(2pie/lambda)x) = 0

Is a solution for x pie?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is not a solution.

Also, when you find a correct equilibrium point, how will you know whether it is stable?

If it's >0.

So then what is a soln?

For what values of x is this true:

[tex]\sin \frac {2\pi x}{\lambda} = 0[/tex]

Certainly, it's not just [itex]x = \pi[/itex].

Also, the sign of the potential alone does not determine stability.

If the second derivative is > 0 while evaluated at its equilibrium points does not determine stability then what does?

Also, x = lambda/2 as the first positive eq. pt.

But when does bounded motion occur?

Last edited:
Nusc said:
If the second derivative is > 0 while evaluated at its equilibrium points does not determine stability then what does?
Also, x = lambda/2 as the first positive eq. pt.
But when does bounded motion occur?

Regarding stability, I never suggested otherwise. That's the first time you have related the second derivative to stability. Go back and read what you wrote previously! :)

Bounded motion occurs when there is a restoring force about the equilibrium point.

What is the maximum kinetic energy that the particle can have and still remain bounded for all time?

If the total energy is T + V and never changes, V is min when T is max. V is min at the stable eq. pts. so Vmin = Vocos(pie) = -Vo

(V is potential energy)

Is that right? How can I check my answer?

If the total energy of the particle E = 0 what is the maximum distance that the particle can travel between its turning points assuming that the eq. pt is at x = lambda/2?

When E = 0 Does this imply that V = -T?

Or do I assume that E = 0 = V and thus x is lambda/4 but why?

The maximum kinetic energy the particle can have without leaving the potential well is [itex]T_{max} = V_{max} - V_{min} = 2V_0[/itex]. This assures that the kinetic energy is 0 at the top of the potential curve (i.e. it cannot go beyond the maximum of potential because v = 0 there).

Is Vmax = Vo ? and Vmax = Vocos((2pie/lambda)(lambda/2)) ? I thought the max kineitc energy would occur if V =0

If the total energy of the particle E = 0 what is the maximum distance that the particle can travel between its turning points assuming that the eq. pt is at x = lambda/2?

so the max distance requires the max kinietic energy and this E = 0 = T + V =>

1/2 mV^2 = 2Vo + Vocos(2xpie/lambda) = 0

solve for x?

Last edited:
I think you're confusing this with a different problem you may have encountered. You need to realize that the "zero level" of potential or potential energy is arbitrary. What matters in terms of physical interaction is the force acting on a particle which can be expressed as a gradient or derivative of a potential. This means that in a particular situation an arbitrary constant can be added to the potential. Since the gradient of a constant is 0, adding such a constant contributes nothing to the physical forces acting on particles.

For example, when you consider particles interacting via the Coulomb force or gravity, it is often convenient to set the potential equal to zero out at infinity. That's strictly a matter of convenience but doesn't affect the physical interaction between the particles. You could just as well have set the potential to some nonzero value at infinity with no effect on the actual interaction.

In your particular problem, someone else has already made the decision on what the constant is in the expression for potential energy. They could just as well have made the potential energy [itex]-V_0 + V_0 \cos (2\pi x/\lambda)[/itex] to make the potential zero at the highest level. In that case, E = 0 would have the interpretation you're suggesting. However, they did not. The quantity you are interested in is the maximum potential and the difference between it and the lowest potential.

I hope that helps.

do I assume that E = 0 = T since the max imum distance is obtained when T = 0

E = T + V
0 = 0 + Vocos(2pie*x*lambda / lambda * 2 )

thus x is lambda/4

is it even reasonable to say that the maximum distance lamdba/4 is larger than the equilibirum point? lambda/2

There are two values of x for which E = 0 when T = 0. You're looking for the separation between those two points.

When the turning pts occur, E = V but E = 0

so x is +/- lambda/4

Now you say its the separation between those pts so does this imply Vmax - Vmin? I thought Vmax was E.

You're not paying attention! Your question was what is the distance between the turning points when E = 0? I told you there are two such turning points (about the first stable equilibrium, again as you specified in your original post). The separation between those two points is the separation between them!

The first turning point occurs at [itex]x = \lambda/4[/itex] and the second occurs at [itex]3\lambda/4[/itex] if the potential you gave in your original post is correct.

I see now, thanks

1. What is a stable equilibrium?

A stable equilibrium is a point in a system where the forces acting on it are balanced, and the system remains in a steady state without any external disturbances.

2. How do you determine if x = pie is a solution for a stable equilibrium?

To determine if x = pie is a solution for a stable equilibrium, you would need to consider the forces and variables involved in the system and analyze their effects on each other. If x = pie satisfies the conditions for a stable equilibrium, then it can be considered a solution.

3. What factors influence the stability of an equilibrium?

The stability of an equilibrium is influenced by several factors, such as the strength and direction of the forces involved, the properties of the system, and the presence of any external disturbances. These factors can affect the overall balance of forces and determine whether the equilibrium is stable or not.

4. Can a stable equilibrium become unstable?

Yes, a stable equilibrium can become unstable if there are changes in the system that disrupt the balance of forces. For example, an external disturbance or a change in one of the variables could cause the equilibrium to shift and become unstable.

5. How is the stability of an equilibrium important in scientific research?

The stability of an equilibrium is important in scientific research because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. By analyzing the forces and variables involved, we can determine if a system will remain in a steady state or if it is susceptible to changes and disturbances. This knowledge can be applied to various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to better understand natural phenomena and develop solutions for real-world problems.