Blood pressure/wrong cuff size

• Medical
  • Thread starter mwaso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood
In summary: The study found that the highest blood pressure was measured with the bladder of 13 ´ 36 cm (125.1 resp. 75.4 mm Hg). The lowest BP was measured with the bladder of 16 ´ 23 cm (123.7 resp. 74.4 mm Hg). This suggests that larger bladders result in higher blood pressure readings. However, the study found that the use of a sphygmomanometer does not compare to bp measurements using an intra-arterial catheter when it comes to accuracy.
mwaso
so, when measuring blood pressure, if you use a cuff that's too large for the patient, you get an incorrectly low reading. This doesn't make sense to me. why?

Biology news on Phys.org
A large cuff doesn't apply enough pressure to compress the artery, with smaller arm size.

It also works the other way. Some obese people are incorrectly diagnosed with high blood pressure when in fact, their blood pressure is actually normal! This false diagnosis is based on improper use of blood pressure equipment, namely using a cuff that's to small.

Add to that "white coat hypertension" = I'm in a doctors office, he's going to tell me off for being fat , I'm going to die... puts most people into the high blood pressure category.

Last edited:
hypatia said:
A large cuff doesn't apply enough pressure to compress the artery, with smaller arm size.

Actually, it's the opposite. The large cuff doesn't need to be inflated as much to compress the artery on a smaller arm, so gives an erroneously low reading. Likewise, if a cuff is too small, it will have to be overinflated to get it to compress the artery adequately, so will give an erroneously high reading.

Moonbear said:
Actually, it's the opposite. The large cuff doesn't need to be inflated as much to compress the artery on a smaller arm, so gives an erroneously low reading. Likewise, if a cuff is too small, it will have to be overinflated to get it to compress the artery adequately, so will give an erroneously high reading.

As Moonbear says, too small a cuff will give an artificially high reading:

http://www.nature.com/jhh/journal/v11/n7/abs/1000470a.html

With the smallest bladder (13 ´ 23 cm) the highest systolic and diastolic BP was measured (mean SBP 127.2 mean DBP 77.0 mm Hg), followed by the bladder of 13 ´ 36 cm (125.1 resp. 75.4 mm Hg). The lowest BP was measured with the bladder of 16 ´ 23 cm (123.7 resp. 74.4 mm Hg).

An interesting point made by some studies is that hypertension may be misdiagnosed in a number of obese patients for this reason. The variation with cuff size seems to be more pronounced with obese patients as well.

berkeman said:
An interesting point made by some studies is that hypertension may be misdiagnosed in a number of obese patients for this reason. The variation with cuff size seems to be more pronounced with obese patients as well.

I wonder how much variation or error is introduced by the obesity by itself. In other words, regardless of the size of cuff, would the artery be properly occluded with a consistent inflation pressure when there is so much fat is between the cuff and artery? Fat has such a different texture than muscle, would having to compress a lot of fat to compress the artery give an inaccurate reading all by itself?

The only comparison I can think of to explain my reasoning is when I collect blood samples from farm animals. It takes relatively little effort to compress the jugular vein of a sheep enough to "puff" it up to get a blood sample...just a light pressure with my thumb. In contrast, to get a blood sample from a cow, light pressure with my thumb isn't going to cut it. With all the fat, you need to lean your whole fist into their neck to adequately compress the jugular vein to get a blood sample. It takes more pressure to occlude the vein of a cow with a fat neck than a sheep with a skinnier neck.

Has anyone tested if any blood pressure cuff gives an accurate reading in obese patients? How does the use of a sphygmomanometer compare with bp measurements using an intra-arterial catheter?

1. What is blood pressure and why is it important?

Blood pressure is the force of blood against the walls of your arteries. It is an essential measure of your overall health and can indicate potential issues with your heart and blood vessels.

2. How is blood pressure measured?

Blood pressure is typically measured using a sphygmomanometer, which consists of a cuff, a pressure-measuring device, and a stethoscope. The cuff is placed around the upper arm and inflated, then slowly deflated while listening for the sound of blood pulsing through the artery.

3. What happens if the wrong cuff size is used for blood pressure measurement?

If the cuff size is too small, it can result in an artificially high blood pressure reading. If the cuff size is too large, it can result in an artificially low reading. In both cases, the incorrect cuff size can lead to misdiagnosis and improper treatment.

4. How do I know if I am using the right cuff size?

The correct cuff size should cover approximately 80% of your upper arm. The cuff should fit snugly but not too tight. You should be able to fit two fingers between the cuff and your arm. If the cuff is too small, it will be difficult to wrap around your arm, and if it is too large, it will be too loose.

5. Can using the wrong cuff size for blood pressure measurement be harmful?

Using the wrong cuff size can result in inaccurate blood pressure readings, which can lead to unnecessary treatment or failure to treat a potentially serious condition. It is essential to use the correct cuff size for accurate and reliable blood pressure measurements.