History of the world : From Adam to Obama

• History
  • Thread starter mohd_adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, the conversation is about a topic that aims to share information about historical personalities. The topic is unclear and some members suggest using Wikipedia as a source. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of writing in English as a third language and the need to define the topic more narrowly. One interesting historical personality mentioned is Maimonides, a prominent physician and scholar from the Middle Ages.
mohd_adam
I hope this topic is source of information for me and the others in the history , the idea of that topic is to write information about the historical Personalities. For me I will write about Adam, Genghis Khan and Cheng Ho. assuming that from Adam to Obama is 6000 years , so i hope we write about 600 Historical Personalities.

Science news on Phys.org
mohd_adam said:
assuming that from Adam to Obama is 6000 years

I almost want to start a betting pool for who's going to jump on that first. :rofl:

I hope this topic is source of information for me and the others in the history , the idea of that topic is to write information about the historical Personalities. For me I will write about Adam, Genghis Khan and Cheng Ho. assuming that from Adam to Obama is 6000 years , so i hope we write about 600 Historical Personalities.

What are you talking about? Is this some project for history? I fail to understand what you are trying to say in this very confusing paragraph? :uhh:

If you want the 600 personalities who've had the most influence on the world you must include the man who invented the fridge magnet.I think her name was Radish.

I'm sorry because the topic was unclear for some members. The aim from that topic is to know new information about historical Personalities.

Cheng Ho
Who is Cheng Ho ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He#Voyages

There is nothing common between Adam and Obama but that they are both human beings.

mohd_adam said:
Why?

This has already been done on Wikipedia, which makes such a thread rather redundant. I doubt Wikipedia will provide 'new' information, but rather what's readily avilable. One would have to browse various journals in ancient history and archeology in conjunction with recent archeological expeditions.

Last edited:
As far as English history is concerned I would include Shakespeare ,Newton,Churchill and the Beatles but I could not write informatively enough about them.The Wikipedia article mentioned by Astronuc seems like it could be an interesting read.

Dadface said:
As far as English history is concerned I would include Shakespeare ,Newton,Churchill and the Beatles but I could not write informatively enough about them.The Wikipedia article mentioned by Astronuc seems like it could be an interesting read.
It's not a single article, but there thousands of articles on historical personalities and places. I don't think it necessary to recrease Wikipedia in a single thread.

What about the thousands of people who lived in these places
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_continuously_inhabited_cities

Would the list include all the Roman emperors, Popes and Patriarchs, Greek kings, tribal leaders of all the tribes that have wandered through Eastern Europe and Central Asia, Caliphs, Wazirs, Chinese Emperors and those of SE Asia, Japanese Emperors, Korean Emperors, English Kings, French Kings, Italian Kings, Kings and tribal leaders of Africa, Kings and tribal leaders of South and Central America? Or just the top 10 of these categories?

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Why?

This has already been done on Wikipedia, which makes such a thread rather redundant. I doubt Wikipedia will provide 'new' information, but rather what's readily avilable. One would have to browse various journals in ancient history and archeology in conjunction with recent archeological expeditions.

In fact, in the beginning i wanted share my information in history with the others , also i hoped to know new information from the members, but because English is my third language, so when i tried to write, i discovered that 'this isn't easy' , that's why i put link from Wikipedia. Anyway, i think that i must wait until i improve my English.
Thanks for all

mohd_adam said:
In fact, in the beginning i wanted share my information in history with the others , also i hoped to know new information from the members, but because English is my third language, so when i tried to write, i discovered that 'this isn't easy' , that's why i put link from Wikipedia. Anyway, i think that i must wait until i improve my English.
Thanks for all
I applaud and commend one's interest in history. However, I think one needs to narrowly define the topic. We have a History & Humanities forum, which has several different threads on history and the ancient world.
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148

An interesting personality is Maimonides, whose "full Hebrew name was Moshe ben Maimon (Hebrew: משה בן מימון‎) and his Arabic name was Abu Imran Mussa bin Maimun ibn Abdallah al-Qurtubi al-Israili (أبو عمران موسى بن ميمون بن عبد الله القرطبي الإسرائيلي). However, he is most commonly known by his Greek name, Moses Maimonides (Μωυσής Μαϊμονίδης)." He was born in Cordoba, Spain on March 30, 1135, and died in Egypt on December 13, 1204.
Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maimonides

He gained widespread recognition and became a court physician to the Grand Vezier Alfadil, then to Sultan Saladin, after whose death he remained a physician to the royal family.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=2595894&blobtype=pdf

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Maimonides.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the significance of studying the history of the world?

Studying the history of the world allows us to understand the past and how it has shaped the present. It helps us to learn from past mistakes, appreciate different cultures and perspectives, and make informed decisions for the future.

Who was Adam and why is he considered the first human in history?

Adam is a biblical figure and is believed by many to be the first human created by God. He is considered the first human in history because he is said to have been created by God on the sixth day of creation according to the Book of Genesis.

What is the role of Obama in the history of the world?

Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States and the first African American to hold the position. His election in 2008 marked a significant moment in the history of the world, as it demonstrated the progress towards equality and diversity in the political landscape.

How has the world changed from the time of Adam to Obama?

The world has undergone significant changes since the time of Adam, including the development of various civilizations, the rise and fall of empires, technological advancements, and global events such as wars and revolutions. The world has become more interconnected and diverse, with advancements in communication, trade, and cultural exchange.

What can we learn from the history of the world?

We can learn many lessons from the history of the world, including the consequences of certain actions, the importance of collaboration and understanding, and the resilience of humanity. It also helps us to appreciate the progress and advancements that have been made, as well as the challenges that still need to be addressed.