Mathematical Economics, Minimization

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a constant elasticity of substitution production function to minimize the cost of producing a given output. The cost is given by a combination of labor and capital, and the firm must simultaneously determine the cost-minimizing demand for both inputs. The conversation also mentions a change of variables that can be used to simplify the calculations. The recommended method for solving the problem involves using a lagrangian and deriving first order conditions.
dracolnyte

Homework Statement

Consider the following general form of a constant elasticity of substitution production function:

y = [SLp + (1 - S)Kp]1/p

Assume a firm is trying to minimize the cost of producing any given y. Cost are given by

C = wL + rK

Find the firm's cost minimizing demand function for L. The cost minimizing demand for K is determined simultaneously, so you need both first order conditions. You may assume that nonneggativity constraints on L and K are not binding.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is y = [SLp + (1 - S)Kp]1/p expandable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not in any pleasant fashion. Why would you want to expand it?

because my prof said it would be easier if we let a1 = S1/p and a2 = (1-S)1/p and leave our answers in terms of a1 and a2

im guessing i can make a1p = S and a2p = (1 - S)
then i would get

y = [a1pLp + a2pKp]1/p

y = [(a1L)p + (a2K)p]1/p

dracolnyte said:
im guessing i can make a1p = S and a2p = (1 - S)
then i would get

y = [a1pLp + a2pKp]1/p

y = [(a1L)p + (a2K)p]1/p
This is certainly correct.

FYI, I don't think this change of variable has anything to do with how to go about performing this calculation -- it's just a little optional detail that may (or may not) make it less tedious.

Seems pretty standard. You want to minimize wL + rK over L and K, with y - [SLp + (1 - S)Kp]^1/p = 0 as your constraint. Define the lagrangian and derive the first order conditions by differentiating the lagrangian with respect to L, K, and lambda.

1. What is mathematical economics?

Mathematical economics is a branch of economics that uses mathematical tools and models to analyze economic theories and problems. It combines economic theories, statistical methods, and mathematical optimization techniques to study and understand economic phenomena.

2. How is mathematical economics used in real-world applications?

Mathematical economics is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as market analysis, resource allocation, production optimization, and policy making. It helps economists and businesses make informed decisions by providing a quantitative framework to analyze and solve economic problems.

3. What is minimization in mathematical economics?

Minimization is a mathematical optimization technique used in mathematical economics to find the best solution for a given problem. It involves finding the minimum value of a function by varying its inputs or parameters within a defined set of constraints. In economics, minimization is used to find the optimal allocation of resources or to maximize profits.

4. What are some common mathematical models used in economic analysis?

There are several mathematical models used in economic analysis, including linear programming, game theory, optimization theory, and dynamic programming. These models help economists understand and predict economic behavior and outcomes in various scenarios.

5. How does mathematical economics contribute to the field of economics?

Mathematical economics plays a crucial role in the field of economics by providing a rigorous and quantitative approach to studying economic problems. It helps economists develop theories, test hypotheses, and make predictions about economic behavior and outcomes. Additionally, mathematical economics allows for more accurate and efficient analysis of complex economic systems, leading to better decision-making and policy recommendations.