What is Visuwords and how can it enhance brainstorming and writing?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool
In summary: Sometimes the words go off the screen and you can't move to where they are so you just move them to where you are :) cause when you zoom out to see the words it's hard to make out the details.Woah NVM that you can click the background and drag to move around... never noticed that before.
waht
If you are writing a paper perhaps this might be useful to bounce around words. It's a dictionary and a thesaurus that connects words in a visual way:

http://www.visuwords.com/

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for this waht.

Hey that's cool. Nice find waht :)

I love the physics of it, it's sort of like protein folding. It didn't seem very practical or useful in any context to me, though...not enough associations, and it couldn't really be navigated. I guess I was expecting something that would allow you to dynamically travel through the relationships instead of just seeing 1 static graph with a small handful of associations...most of which are just different parts of speech of the input word..

I found it strangely appropriate that when I opened it, the subject was 'indecency'. I'm as indecent as I can get away with whenever possible. :biggrin:

That is useful. :smile: Helps you grasp the idea/concept of words better, or conceptualize.

junglebeast said:
I love the physics of it, it's sort of like protein folding. It didn't seem very practical or useful in any context to me, though...not enough associations, and it couldn't really be navigated. I guess I was expecting something that would allow you to dynamically travel through the relationships instead of just seeing 1 static graph with a small handful of associations...most of which are just different parts of speech of the input word..

I guess it depends on the word you use. I got "rap" as a random pick and the number of associations was pretty big. Still no navigation that I could tell. You can interact with it though.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I guess it depends on the word you use. I got "rap" as a random pick and the number of associations was pretty big. Still no navigation that I could tell. You can interact with it though.

You can pan and zoom.

waht said:
You can pan and zoom.
If you hover over one of the nodes it will show a bit more info. Also you can "grab" one of the nodes and move the thing around by it though I haven't figured out the use of it other than to maybe untangle it a bit or to just mindlessly shake it around.

TheStatutoryApe said:
If you hover over one of the nodes it will show a bit more info. Also you can "grab" one of the nodes and move the thing around by it though I haven't figured out the use of it other than to maybe untangle it a bit or to just mindlessly shake it around.

sometime the words go off the screen and you can't move to where they are so you just move them to where you are :) cause when you zoom out to see the words it's hard to make out the details.

Woah NVM that you can click the background and drag to move around... never noticed that before.

What is a "Cool brainstorming dictionary"?

A "Cool brainstorming dictionary" is a tool used to generate creative ideas and solutions for a specific problem or topic. It contains a list of words, phrases, and prompts that can help stimulate the brainstorming process.

How can a "Cool brainstorming dictionary" be used?

A "Cool brainstorming dictionary" can be used in various ways, depending on the individual's preference. It can be used individually or in a group setting, and the words or phrases can be used as prompts for free-flowing brainstorming or as constraints to spark more focused thinking.

Can a "Cool brainstorming dictionary" be customized?

Yes, a "Cool brainstorming dictionary" can be customized to fit the specific needs and preferences of the user. Additional words or phrases can be added, and existing ones can be edited or removed.

Are there any proven benefits of using a "Cool brainstorming dictionary"?

While the effectiveness of a "Cool brainstorming dictionary" may vary from person to person, there are studies that show the use of prompts or constraints can enhance creativity and lead to more diverse and original ideas.

Is a "Cool brainstorming dictionary" a replacement for traditional brainstorming techniques?

No, a "Cool brainstorming dictionary" is not meant to replace traditional brainstorming techniques, but rather to complement them. It can be a helpful tool to add variety and novelty to the brainstorming process.