Special Relativity - geometric approach?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a good book on special relativity that takes a geometric approach. They are struggling with understanding special relativity and are seeking a more intuitive and geometric approach to problem-solving. One suggestion is the book Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler, which includes excellent problems and solutions. The person also mentions a manuscript by Tevian Dray that was used for a textbook on the subject.
bjnartowt
Hi everybody: does anyone know of a good book on special relativity that takes a geometric approach? I'm doing research that requires that I know special relativity, and, while working problems out for personal-practice, all I do is either:

1) make gamma-messes
2) clumsily-use invariants, make cross-terms, run into walls...

Special relativity is something that just escapes me, for some reason. I can do problems at the level of Thornton/Rex's "Modern Physics" quite fine, but when I try Griffiths "Intro...Elementary Particles" chapter 3, I flounder for some strange reason. I decided, then, that it might be best to look into a more intuitive and geometric approach to problem-solving in special relativity: any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler is an elementary book, but maybe you should take a look at the excellent problems and solutions (only after thinking about the the problems!) in the 1966 paperbact (red) edition.

http://physics.oregonstate.edu/~tevian/geometry/

Tevian Dray (who wrote this manuscript) gave a talk at my school once - the talk was very informative, and this is his manuscript for a textbook on it.

1. What is the basic concept of special relativity - geometric approach?

The geometric approach to special relativity is based on the concept that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the laws of physics should be described in a way that is independent of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How is time dilation explained in special relativity - geometric approach?

Time dilation in special relativity is explained by the concept of space-time. According to this theory, space and time are interconnected, and the speed of light is constant for all observers. This means that as an object moves faster through space, time will appear to slow down for that object relative to a stationary observer.

3. What is the role of the Lorentz transformation in special relativity - geometric approach?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula used to describe how measurements of space and time change for observers in different frames of reference. It is a key component of the geometric approach to special relativity, as it allows for the prediction of how space and time are affected by an object's relative motion.

4. Can you explain the concept of length contraction in special relativity - geometric approach?

Length contraction is another consequence of the space-time fabric in special relativity. It states that an object's length will appear shorter to an observer who is in motion relative to the object, compared to an observer who is stationary relative to the object. This is due to the fact that the measurement of an object's length is dependent on the observer's frame of reference.

5. How does the concept of simultaneity differ from classical physics in special relativity - geometric approach?

In classical physics, two events that are simultaneous for one observer will be simultaneous for all observers. However, in special relativity, the concept of simultaneity is relative and dependent on the observer's frame of reference. This means that events that are simultaneous for one observer may not be simultaneous for another observer in a different frame of reference.