Connection of linear equation to span.

In summary, to find the numbers a, b, and c for the linear subspace E defined by the span of v1 = (0,1,-2) and v2 = (1, 1, 1), we can use the idea of a linear combination to set up an equation for E. Solving this equation by analyzing the coefficients, we find that a particular set of numbers \{b_1, b_2, b_3\}=\{-3, 2, 1\} satisfies the equation, and therefore a = -3, b = 2, and c = 1.
merry
Let E = span{v1, v2} be the linear subspace of R3 spanned by the vectors v1 = (0,1,-2) and v2 = (1, 1, 1). Find numbers a, b, c so that
E = {(x, y, z) of R3 : ax + by + cz = 0}

I tried doing this question, but I am totally lost. I know that any vector in E can be represented as a linear combination of v1 and v2, but then how do I interpret (x, y, z) in terms of v1 and v2? @.@
If someone could please give me an idea of how I should be going about with the solution, I'd really appreciate it! I don't need a full solution, just an idea of how to do the question.
THANKS!
and please help! T.T

Physics news on Phys.org
x, y, and z are just elements of a vector. So in the case of [tex]v_1=(0,1,-2)[/tex], x, y, and z equal 0, 1, and -2 respectively.

Furthermore, your next step is to find the span of [tex]\{v_1, v_2\}[/tex].

epkid08 said:
x, y, and z are just elements of a vector. So in the case of [tex]v_1=(0,1,-2)[/tex], x, y, and z equal 0, 1, and -2 respectively.

So do I take (x, y, z) as the respective components of v1 and v2 and then get 2 equations and find a, b and c? o_O

You won't need to worry about (x, y, z) until you find the span of (v_1, v_2).

epkid08 said:
You won't need to worry about (x, y, z) until you find the span of (v_1, v_2).

But I don't know how to find the span of v1 and v2 o_O
I know that if I take v1 and v2 and put them in the form of a linear combination:

av1 + bv2 = (m, n) where m and n are arbitrary,
I can solve for a and b in terms of m and n.

Is that what you call solving for the span? o_O
Thanks!

Well we know that E is the span [tex]\{v_1, v_2\}[/tex], and we also know that the span of a set of vectors is the linear combination of those vectors, so we can say that:

[tex]E = a_1v_1 + a_2v_2=a_1(0, 1, -2) + a_2(1, 1, 1) = (0, a_1, -2a_1)+(a_2, a_2, a_2)[/tex]

Last edited:
epkid08 said:
Well we know that E is the span [tex]\{v_1, v_2\}[/tex], and we also know that the span of a set of vectors in the linear combination of those vectors, so we can say that:

[tex]E = a_1v_1 + a_2v_2=a_1(0, 1, -2) + a_2(1, 1, 1) = (0, a_1, -2a_1)+(a_2, a_2, a_2)[/tex]

Right, I did try using that but ended up with 5 variables. Since we don't know what the values of a1 and a2 are, how can we use the idea to compute a, b and c?

Thanks!

WOAH! THANKS A TON MAN! xD I finally know how to do the question!
Thanks again!

(note: I switched a,b,c, to [tex]b_1,b_2,b_3[/tex].)

E is defined by two things, [tex]E=\{(x, y, z) | b_1x + b_2y + b_3z = 0\}[/tex], as well as, [tex]E=(a_2, a_1 + a_2, a_2-2a_1)[/tex], so inserting the values of the linear combination into the constraint of E we have:

[tex]b_1a_2 + b_2(a_1 + a_2) + b_3(a_2-2a_1) = 0[/tex]

Rewriting it we have:

[tex]a_2(b_1+b_2+b_3) +a_1(b_2-2b_3)= 0[/tex]

Analyzing this, we see that in order for it to be true both of the following statements must hold:

[tex]b_1 + b_2 + b_3 = 0[/tex] and [tex]b_2 - 2b_3=0[/tex]

Now all you need to do is find a particular set of numbers [tex]\{b_1, b_2, b_3\}[/tex] that satisfy the above two equations.

One such example could be [tex]\{b_1, b_2, b_3\}=\{-3, 2, 1\}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How are linear equations connected to span?

Linear equations are connected to span through the concept of linear combinations. This means that any solution to a linear equation can be expressed as a linear combination of the vectors that make up the span. In other words, the span of a set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors.

2. Can a linear equation have a solution that is not within the span?

No, a linear equation can only have a solution within the span. This is because the span represents all possible combinations of the vectors that make up the span, so any solution to the linear equation must be a combination of those vectors.

3. How can the span help us understand the solutions to a linear equation?

The span can help us understand the solutions to a linear equation by showing us all possible combinations of the vectors that make up the span. This can help us visualize and understand the different solutions to a linear equation and how they relate to each other.

4. What is the relationship between the dimension of the span and the number of variables in a linear equation?

The dimension of the span is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors that make up the span. This is also equal to the number of variables in a linear equation. Therefore, the dimension of the span and the number of variables in a linear equation are directly related.

5. Can a linear equation have multiple solutions within the same span?

Yes, a linear equation can have multiple solutions within the same span. This is because the span represents all possible combinations of the vectors that make up the span, so there may be multiple combinations that can satisfy the linear equation.