Finding reverse saturation current.

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on finding the reverse saturation current for a diode given conductivity, an I-V curve with forward bias information (a table of I vs V values), and other information such as the diode's mobility and material (silicon). They are advised to use the Shockley Diode equation with precise data or with a filter if there are measurement errors.
DrMath

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a problem to find the reverse saturation current for a piece of diode.
I have a question - given conductivity, a I-V curve with forward bias information (a table of I vs V values), how can i proceed? I have other information abt the diode such as its mobility, and then it is made of silicon - other material info assume given.

Anyone can advise the approach? thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
DrMath said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a problem to find the reverse saturation current for a piece of diode.
I have a question - given conductivity, a I-V curve with forward bias information (a table of I vs V values), how can i proceed? I have other information abt the diode such as its mobility, and then it is made of silicon - other material info assume given.

Anyone can advise the approach? thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Where is the relevant equation?
If your data are precise, substitute the values of one point of the curve (V-I) into the diode equation and obtain Is.
If your data are real, they should have measurement errors and you should use the diode equation in conjunction with a filter to obtain Is.

Use the Shockley Diode equation, that should yield an answer.

1. What is reverse saturation current?

Reverse saturation current, also known as leakage current, is the small amount of current that flows through a diode or transistor in the opposite direction of its intended flow when it is reverse biased. It is caused by minority carriers in the semiconductor material and is typically very small.

2. Why is reverse saturation current important?

Reverse saturation current is an important parameter in the analysis and design of electronic circuits. It can affect the performance and reliability of devices, and it must be taken into account in order to accurately predict the behavior of a circuit.

3. How is reverse saturation current measured?

Reverse saturation current can be measured by applying a reverse bias voltage to the device and measuring the resulting current. This can be done using a multimeter or other specialized equipment.

4. What factors affect reverse saturation current?

The reverse saturation current of a diode or transistor is affected by several factors, including temperature, doping concentration, and the size and material properties of the device. Higher temperatures and higher doping concentrations typically result in higher reverse saturation current.

5. How can reverse saturation current be reduced?

Reverse saturation current can be reduced by using a device with a lower doping concentration, by decreasing the temperature, or by using a larger device with a greater surface area. In some cases, the reverse saturation current can also be reduced by using a reverse bias voltage that is closer to the breakdown voltage of the device.