Is a Walking Simulation Device the Next Big Thing in Interactive Gaming?

In summary: I think that it would be a good idea for an arcade, or even a gym. I think that people would be more willing to hop on a treadmill if they could feel like they were doing something while walking or running on it since usually they are just very boring to me. I'm more in favor of just going out and doing the actual activity than playing it on a video game, but they're good alternatives for when the weather is cruddy.
T.O.E Dream
If there was a device that allows the simulation of walking (maybe a practical omni-direction treadmill), would gamers be interested in such a product. For example, wii has many products that allow video games to be more interactive but all of which you can't walk or run with. With this be a big product?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like it would be really expensive once you got all the bugs and safety issues worked out and not many people would be able to afford it.

The best thing would be to hirea game-theatre-type place of VR games, and sell VR units to the game-theatre. People who can afford to have a whole room of their house be used for a game might also buy your product.

Then you could design a new operating system that you can host 3D applications on and artists, architects, and engineers will all be on board too, designing their projects by walking around inside of them.

I would like 10%, thank you.

It might be a good idea for an arcade, or even a gym. I think I'd be more willing to hop on a treadmill if I could feel like I was doing something while walking or running on it since usually they are just very boring to me. I'm more in favor of just going out and doing the actual activity than playing it on a video game, but they're good alternatives for when the weather is cruddy

What about if the system was about 2 feet in length? So that it would fit nicely in a room. Would it be more practical?

T.O.E Dream said:
If there was a device that allows the simulation of walking (maybe a practical omni-direction treadmill), would gamers be interested in such a product. For example, wii has many products that allow video games to be more interactive but all of which you can't walk or run with. With this be a big product?
I believe that Wii has a product that tracks body motion and will translate it into walking/ect. No treadmill.

Moonbear said:
It might be a good idea for an arcade, or even a gym. I think I'd be more willing to hop on a treadmill if I could feel like I was doing something while walking or running on it since usually they are just very boring to me. I'm more in favor of just going out and doing the actual activity than playing it on a video game, but they're good alternatives for when the weather is cruddy
Wii has a line of exercise games. They are rather successfully expanding the women's market in gaming.

The origional nintendo had that. It was a pad you could run on.

Galteeth said:
The origional nintendo had that. It was a pad you could run on.

But did it feel like running? So it does it feel like you're actually in the game.

What is an interactive video game?

An interactive video game is a form of entertainment that allows players to actively engage with a virtual world through various actions and decisions. This type of game typically involves challenges, goals, and a narrative that the player can influence.

How do interactive video games work?

Interactive video games use a combination of software, hardware, and user input to create a virtual environment that responds to the player's actions. The game's code dictates the rules, mechanics, and outcomes, while the user's input through controllers or other devices influences the game's progression.

What are the benefits of playing interactive video games?

Playing interactive video games can improve cognitive skills, problem-solving abilities, hand-eye coordination, and decision-making skills. It can also provide a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, promote social interaction, and reduce stress levels.

What are the potential drawbacks of playing interactive video games?

Some potential drawbacks of playing interactive video games include excessive screen time, sedentary behavior, and potential addiction. It may also lead to aggressive behavior or desensitization to violence in some individuals.

How do scientists study the effects of interactive video games on players?

Scientists use a variety of research methods, such as surveys, experiments, and brain imaging techniques, to study the effects of interactive video games on players. They also consider factors such as game genre, duration of play, and individual differences in their studies.