Proton in magnetic field

In summary, when a proton is moving in the -y direction with a magnetic field pointing in the +y direction with a magnitude of 5.0 T, the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force will be zero due to the anti-parallel nature of the velocity and magnetic field vectors. This is because the vector cross product operation does not yield a scalar result, as it is not equivalent to scalar multiplication.
TheDoorsOfMe

Homework Statement

Proton moving in -y direction with a magnetic field pointing in the +y direction with a manitude of 5.0 T. The proton has a velocity of 3.01x10^7, What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force.

Homework Equations

F=q(v x B)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I think is either 0 or 1.5x10^8.

I say it might be zero cause the cross product of anti-parallel vectors is zero right? Or I say its 1.5x10^8 because I just plugged into the above equation a solved. Which one is it? Or is it neither.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheDoorsOfMe said:

Homework Statement

Proton moving in -y direction with a magnetic field pointing in the +y direction with a manitude of 5.0 T. The proton has a velocity of 3.01x10^7, What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force.

Homework Equations

F=q(v x B)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I think is either 0 or 1.5x10^8.

I say it might be zero cause the cross product of anti-parallel vectors is zero right? Or I say its 1.5x10^8 because I just plugged into the above equation a solved. Which one is it? Or is it neither.

Id take your first answer, zero.

By the looks of it, you have taken cross product to be the same thing as scalar multiplication, which is not true. Have a look at these links for more about the vector cross product:

http://cnx.org/content/m13603/latest/
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/CrossProduct.aspx

If you were to define the velocity vector as <0, 3.01x10^7, 0> m/s and the magnetic field vector as <0, -5, 0> T, and then proceeded to apply the cross product operation, you would end up with a zero vector, which would agree with your first answer.

What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle that has a positive charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and is responsible for the behavior of magnets.

How does a proton behave in a magnetic field?

A proton experiences a force when placed in a magnetic field due to its positive charge and the interaction with the magnetic field. The direction of the force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and to the direction of the proton's motion.

Why is studying protons in magnetic fields important?

Studying protons in magnetic fields allows scientists to understand the fundamental properties and behavior of matter at a microscopic level. It also has practical applications in technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and particle accelerators.

What is the role of protons in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)?

In MRI, protons in the body are aligned by a strong magnetic field. When a radiofrequency pulse is applied, the protons absorb energy and then release it as a signal that can be used to create images of internal structures in the body.