Need to calculate work from mass and two velocities

• Thread starter kylepetten
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Work
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the amount of work done by a car when it accelerates from 2 m/s to 6 m/s. The person asking for help is unsure of how to approach the problem and is seeking assistance before their exam. The solution involves using the equation for work done, which is equal to the change in kinetic energy. The expert provides the formula and the final answer.
kylepetten

Homework Statement

Calculate how much work is done when a 1150 kg car accelerates from 2 m/s to 6m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. It seems like insufficient information to me. Please help! I am in great need as my exam is drawing near!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kylepetten said:

Homework Statement

Calculate how much work is done when a 1150 kg car accelerates from 2 m/s to 6m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. It seems like insufficient information to me. Please help! I am in great need as my exam is drawing near!

Thanks!

Work done=change in KE=0.5*1150(6^2-3^2)

inky said:
Work done=change in KE=0.5*1150(6^2-3^2)

oh, man, i sure was thinking too hard. thank you very very much! well appreciated!

1. How do I calculate work from mass and two velocities?

To calculate work, you will need to use the formula W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement. Force can be calculated by multiplying mass (m) by acceleration (a), which can be calculated by subtracting the initial velocity (u) from the final velocity (v) and dividing by the time (t). So, the formula for work becomes W = m * (v-u)/t * d.

2. Can I use any units for mass and velocity in the work calculation?

Yes, you can use any units as long as they are consistent. For example, if mass is given in kilograms (kg) then velocity should be in meters per second (m/s) for the equation to work correctly.

3. What if I only have one velocity and need to calculate work?

If you only have one velocity, you can still calculate work by using the formula W = (1/2) * m * v^2, where m is mass and v is velocity. This formula is commonly used for calculating kinetic energy, but can also be used to calculate work when only one velocity is known.

4. How can I use the work calculation in real life?

The work calculation is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the amount of energy needed to move an object a certain distance. It can also be used in real life situations such as calculating the amount of work done by a machine, or the energy needed to lift an object to a certain height.

5. Is there a difference between work and power?

Yes, there is a difference between work and power. Work is the amount of energy needed to move an object a certain distance, while power is the rate at which work is done. Power is calculated by dividing work by time, so it is a measure of how quickly work is being done.