Finding the Work done on a Ride?

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to find the work done on a ride by a child with a mass of 43 Kg. They discuss using the formula W = FsCos and W = FsSin, and the importance of understanding the direction and angle of the force in relation to the object's movement. They also mention using a free body diagram to solve the problem.
ilovemynny
Finding the Work done on a Ride?

Homework Statement

The lift incline on the Batwing ride at Six Flags America, is 66.2 m long and has an incline of 32.0 degrees. How much work is done to take a 43 Kg child to the top of the hill?

Homework Equations

W = FsCos
I don't know if this is the right formula to use!

The Attempt at a Solution

If this is the right formula to use would the solution go like this:
F = 43 Kg x 9.81 m/s/s
F = 421.83N

W = FsCos
W = 421.83N x 66.2 m x (Cos 32)
W = 23681.8669
W = 24000 J

Is this right, or did I do this wrong? If I did do this wrong can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org

You should do a free body diagram. You have a problem in how You chose your angle or do your trig.You can also do the problem using energy methods.

wait wait what if I did this instead?
W = 421.83N x 66.2 m x (Sin 32)

ilovemynny said:
wait wait what if I did this instead?
W = 421.83N x 66.2 m x (Sin 32)

This is correct but do you understand why? Can you solve it using energy?

actually no >.> my previous questions used the sin when finding height
but when i looked up the formula for work with angles it gave me cos.
can you tell me why?

ilovemynny said:
actually no >.> my previous questions used the sin when finding height
but when i looked up the formula for work with angles it gave me cos.
can you tell me why?
Ok. W=F* cos(a)*s is the definition of work when we have an abject moving in a straight line. It means that work is equal to the component of the Force acting on the same direction as the objects movement.If you have force acting in the same direction as the object moves the angle is 0 and W=Fs if the force acts at a angle W=F* cos(a)*s.The thing is that you don't use this formula to plug random things in it.You must figure out what is the displacement "s", what is the direction of the objects movement and at what angle "a" does the force does with that direction. You do that by making a Free Body diagram.

What is work done on a ride?

The work done on a ride is the energy transferred to the riders as they move through the ride. It is a measure of the force required to move the riders from one point to another.

How is the work done on a ride calculated?

The work done on a ride can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the riders by the distance they are moved. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What factors affect the work done on a ride?

The work done on a ride is affected by several factors, including the weight and speed of the riders, the height and steepness of the ride, and any friction or resistance present in the ride's mechanisms.

Why is it important to calculate the work done on a ride?

Calculating the work done on a ride is important for understanding the energy requirements and safety considerations of the ride. It can also help engineers and designers optimize the ride for a better experience for the riders.

Can the work done on a ride be negative?

Yes, the work done on a ride can be negative if the force applied to the riders is in the opposite direction of their movement. This can happen, for example, when a ride is slowing down or when there is a braking mechanism in place.