Question regarding magnetic pickups

• Thread starter suprant0010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary: The Hall effect sensor would be the best option for your application. It can detect the changing magnetism and convert that into a signal that can be used to activate the solenoid. However, you will need to provide some additional circuitry to convert that signal into whatever you need to drive your solenoid. If the speed of the rotating object is always pretty fast, then all you need is a small coil to pick up the voltage from the passing magnet.
suprant0010
Im working on a bit of a science project, my knowledge of electronics is limited...for this project i need some type of pickup on a rotating object to connect a circuit to open a solenoid valve whenever the object is at a given point on its rotation...and it has to fast enough to do this a few hundred times a second

my first thought was a magnetic pickup, because it doesn't need any contact with the object to get a reading...but to my understanding most magnetic pickups, like the ones used on engines and such only change the resistance between two terminals...in order to use this I would think I need some type of control module to measure that change in resistance, and turn it into an on/off switch, seems like a little too much for me

I have never seen one that simply goes from open circuit to closed when the pickup mark goes by, does something like this even exist? I've been searching everywhere for it, and I am finding nothing

can someone point me in the right direction? not sure what to even call said switch, if it even exists, that's probably why i can't find one

are there any other ways I am unaware of to getting a non-contact pickup switch other than magnetically?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch" and a magnetic marker, I am not sure about the speed, but your application doesn't sound that fast...

Last edited by a moderator:
0xDEADBEEF said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch" and a magnetic marker, I am not sure about the speed, but your application doesn't sound that fast...

awsome, exactly what I was looking for...thank you

did some quick searching around, it appears that most of the reed contacts are for alarm system applications which are not intended to be cycled quickly...im worried i may wear one of those door and window switches out with just a few minutes of usage on my application...but if i can pick one up for a $5, its worth a try

the wiki page said reeds are used on bicycle tachometers, so there's definitely some high speed reeds, just got to find one

suprant0010 said:
awsome, exactly what I was looking for...thank you

did some quick searching around, it appears that most of the reed contacts are for alarm system applications which are not intended to be cycled quickly...im worried i may wear one of those door and window switches out with just a few minutes of usage on my application...but if i can pick one up for a $5, its worth a try

the wiki page said reeds are used on bicycle tachometers, so there's definitely some high speed reeds, just got to find one

I'm surprised the wiki page says that reeds are used on some bike computer pickups -- I think the speed and wearout limitations would preclude them from that application.

If the speed of the rotating object can be slow sometimes, then you should use a Hall effect sensor to detect the passing magnet. Yes, you will need a small amount of circuitry to convert that signal into whatever you need to drive your solenoid.

If the speed is always pretty fast, then all you need is a small coil to pick up the voltage from the passing magnet. Again, you will need a small amount of circuitry to convert this voltage pulse into the signal to drive your solenoid.

Welcome to PF suprant0010. Have you considered doing it optically? Here's a little DIY kit that may give you some ideas for your project.
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/velleman/k8092-optical-proximity-switch-kit.htm"

berkeman said:
I'm surprised the wiki page says that reeds are used on some bike computer pickups -- I think the speed and wearout limitations would preclude them from that application.

If the speed of the rotating object can be slow sometimes, then you should use a Hall effect sensor to detect the passing magnet. Yes, you will need a small amount of circuitry to convert that signal into whatever you need to drive your solenoid.

If the speed is always pretty fast, then all you need is a small coil to pick up the voltage from the passing magnet. Again, you will need a small amount of circuitry to convert this voltage pulse into the signal to drive your solenoid.

speed is going to remain a constant, at least at this stage of the project...so no need to worry about changes in pulse width

i was hoping to keep things as simple as possible, seeing as how my knowledge of circuitry is very limited...if possible i wanted the pickup, whether it be a reed or some other type of switch, to close the circuit that activates solenoid directly

the solenoid I am using only takes 0.8 amps at 12v DC, I am seeing plenty of reed switches that can handle 1 amp...it seems to be a good route to take, my only concern being how long they will last under these conditions

dlgoff said:
Welcome to PF suprant0010. Have you considered doing it optically? Here's a little DIY kit that may give you some ideas for your project.
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/velleman/k8092-optical-proximity-switch-kit.htm"

interesting...the only problem i see with it is it says that its not intended for dark areas, my project is enclosed in a housing and will be completely dark inside

On the reed relay (or any relay), keep in mind that their contacts bounce for several ms (this should be spec'd in their datasheet). At 200rpm, the bounce time of the relay is almost equal to the rep rate...

The optical pickup is a great idea. You can use a reflective photopickup device that has its own light source, which would work great inside a dark enclosure.

What kind of solenoid valve are you using that has that kind of response time?

berkeman said:
What kind of solenoid valve are you using that has that kind of response time?

well, its not really a solenoid valve in the general sense... its an electronic fuel injector

figured id just call it a solenoid, because i didnt want to get into detail about the actual project

suprant0010 said:
well, its not really a solenoid valve in the general sense... its an electronic fuel injector

figured id just call it a solenoid, because i didnt want to get into detail about the actual project

Oh, cool. Are you planning on tuning the delay between the sensor and the injector by moving the magnet/optical reflector on the rotating mechanism, or would it be better to put that adjustment in the circuit that detects the pickup and fires the injector...?

berkeman said:
Oh, cool. Are you planning on tuning the delay between the sensor and the injector by moving the magnet/optical reflector on the rotating mechanism, or would it be better to put that adjustment in the circuit that detects the pickup and fires the injector...?

yeah, trial and error until i get it where it needs to be

1. How do magnetic pickups work?

Magnetic pickups work by using a magnet and a coil of wire to convert the vibrations of metal strings into electrical signals. The magnet creates a magnetic field, and when the metal strings vibrate, they disturb the magnetic field, which in turn creates an electrical current in the coil of wire. This current is then sent to an amplifier to produce sound.

2. What are the different types of magnetic pickups?

There are two main types of magnetic pickups: single-coil and humbucker. Single-coil pickups use one magnet and one coil of wire, while humbuckers use two magnets and two coils of wire. Humbuckers are known for producing a thicker and warmer sound compared to single-coil pickups.

3. How do I choose the right magnetic pickup for my guitar?

Choosing the right magnetic pickup for your guitar depends on your personal preference and the type of sound you want to achieve. Single-coil pickups are known for their bright and clear sound, while humbuckers are known for their warmer and thicker sound. It's best to try out different pickups and see which one suits your playing style and desired sound.

4. Can I install a magnetic pickup on an acoustic guitar?

Yes, it is possible to install a magnetic pickup on an acoustic guitar. However, it may require some modifications to the guitar, such as drilling holes for the pickup and installing a preamp. It's best to consult a professional or do thorough research before attempting to install a pickup on an acoustic guitar.

5. How can I improve the sound of my magnetic pickups?

There are a few ways to improve the sound of your magnetic pickups. One way is to adjust the height of the pickup by raising or lowering it to find the sweet spot for your desired sound. Another way is to experiment with different types of strings, as they can greatly affect the sound produced by the pickups. Additionally, using effects pedals and adjusting settings on your amplifier can also enhance the sound of your magnetic pickups.