Create Vacuum Container - Lawrence's Crazy Idea

In summary, Lawrence is seeking help in creating a vacuum container filled with equal parts of pure elemental gases. Despite his father's belief that it is impossible, Lawrence is determined to build it at home and has turned to the physics forum for guidance. He has just started his official physics education and is eager to learn more about advancements in the field. The forum members suggest using vacuum pumps and chambers, as well as consulting with manufacturers of gaseous signs, to achieve his goal.
xicor123
Hey physics forum,
My name is Lawrence and I have a crazy idea, i want to create a vacuum container (as close to space as POSSIBLE). then I want to fill it with equal parts of the pure elemental gases. I know this might be impossible but if anyone knows away to build a containment field and a vacuum to pull everything out of it before inserting the gas. ANY help would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would this be impossible (or even difficult)? Vacuum chambers are commonplace in the physics community, and filling containers with elemental gases is commonplace too...

My Father has said it was impossible, I'm trying to build it at home, and I'm actually quite new to everything. I have just started my OFFICIAL physics education and have fallen for it, I have done the occassional project on the side, a Tesla Coil here and an "HHO engine" there. I hope you can forgive the uneducated question but I'm curious about every advancement we've made.

xicor123 said:
My Father has said it was impossible, I'm trying to build it at home, and I'm actually quite new to everything. I have just started my OFFICIAL physics education and have fallen for it, I have done the occassional project on the side, a Tesla Coil here and an "HHO engine" there. I hope you can forgive the uneducated question but I'm curious about every advancement we've made.

Welcome to the PF, Lawrence. Here is a link to learn more about vacuum pumps and vacuum chambers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_pump

And here is a general link for learning more about general physics topics:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Playing in vacuum can go from crazy to ultra cray, depending on what performance you expect from your system. You might peruse a vacuum enthusiasts page:
http://belljar.net/
Generally, the price goes from expensive to OMG expensive, with a good general system being a turbo pump tied to your main chamber and a vane pump backing that. WIth a little playing an some valves, you shoulde be able to go from 10-7Torr on up to 1 Torr
Of course, even for the simpliest syste, you'll need a means of flow control (needle valve) and a remeasuring device (pressure or low).

There might be a shortcut to the desired end by consulting with manufacturers of gaseous signs. Neon, argon, etc. are routinely sucked into evacuated tubing in order to advertise the local bar or burger joint. I'm sure that one of them would be able to give you a simple tube of multiple gases for a reasonable fee.

:D i can't believe that I didn't think about that. I've already set up a good connection with the local neon sign, He gave me one of his 15kv 30ma iron core transformers for CHEAP. I will definitely ask for their help THANK YOU.

You're more than welcome. Always remember that sometimes "simple with a price tag" is better than "complicated for free". :biggrin:

1. Can a vacuum container really be created?

Yes, it is possible to create a vacuum container. In fact, vacuum containers are commonly used in various scientific and industrial applications.

2. How does a vacuum container work?

A vacuum container works by removing all air and gases from inside the container, creating a low pressure environment. This low pressure then prevents any air or gas from entering the container, creating a vacuum.

3. What is the purpose of creating a vacuum container?

The purpose of creating a vacuum container is to isolate and preserve a certain environment or substance. By removing all air and gases, the container can be used to store sensitive materials without any external contamination or interference.

4. What materials are needed to create a vacuum container?

The exact materials needed may vary depending on the size and purpose of the container, but some common components include a sealable container, a vacuum pump, and various valves and fittings to control the pressure inside the container.

5. Are there any safety concerns when creating a vacuum container?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when creating a vacuum container. It is important to follow proper procedures and use caution when dealing with low pressure environments. There is also a risk of implosion if the container is not strong enough to withstand the external atmospheric pressure.