Your professor was right, Klaatu says. At the precipice, we change.

In summary: We opposed the American Revolution on the grounds that it would create a government with too much power. We were right. The federal government has become too powerful, and it is on the precipice of becoming a tyranny.In summary, the professor was right, the federal government is on the precipice of becoming a tyranny.
mugaliens
"Your professor was right," Klaatu says. "At the precipice, we change."

Your thoughts, professor.

Physics news on Phys.org

Necessity is the mother of invention. I do not see that we are at any precipice.

1) oil still have to go through the rationing phase, not there yet
2) food the US exports, all good there
3) federal government spending, no issue yet, no inflation in sight

What precipice do you see?

PhilKravitz said:
3) federal government spending, no issue yet, no inflation in sight

$14T in total debt and no plans to pay it back aren't an issue for you?

That just means we're headed towards the precipice. We're not at it yet.

Perception is the mother of all inventions.

mugaliens, would you please make your point explicitly. This is far too cryptic.

The average person: "Eh, what could possibly happen? Maybe a few billion will be stuck in cyclic poverty and malnutrition, but does that affect me?"

Later: "Oh no, I wish I could change everything. However, I cannot. Instead of doing something productive to remedy the situation, I will whine about it all the way to the apocalypse."

Ivan Seeking said:
mugaliens, would you please make your point explicitly. This is far too cryptic.
"Barada nikto" seemed to work for Klaatu. But then, nobody's sure what it means.

Mech_Engineer said:
$14T in total debt and no plans to pay it back aren't an issue for you?

Let's see
1) I do not own any federal debt paper
2) I am not expecting a pension from the federal government
3) I am not expecting social security (and am livid about that)
4) I am not expecting medicare (and am livid about that)
5) I am not expecting a military pension

So why should I care about white collar theft on the part of the federal government? I am much more concerned about the mass murders committed by the federal government in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.

I am a member of the Religious Society of Friends (i.e. Quakers).

1. What does Klaatu mean by "At the precipice, we change"?

Klaatu is referring to a pivotal moment or turning point in our lives where we have the opportunity to make a significant change or decision.

2. Who is Klaatu and why is his statement important?

Klaatu is a character from the science fiction movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still". His statement is important because it highlights the importance of recognizing and embracing opportunities for change.

3. How does this quote relate to science?

In science, we often encounter moments of discovery or breakthrough that can lead to significant changes in our understanding of the world. This quote reminds us to be open to these moments and to not be afraid of change.

4. Is there evidence to support Klaatu's statement?

While there may not be direct scientific evidence for this specific quote, there is research that supports the idea that change is necessary for growth and progress. For example, studies have shown that exposure to new experiences and challenges can lead to positive changes in the brain and in personal development.

5. How can we apply this quote to our daily lives?

We can apply this quote by being open to new experiences and opportunities for growth. It reminds us to not be afraid of change and to embrace it as a chance for improvement and progress.